View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 04:49 AM
grammypatty7

Originally Posted by Mabel from Kansas
Debo, it's sad when a shop doesn't cater to all type of quilters. Believe me there are still hand piecers and quilters. I think we sort of lurk in the back ground. I belong to a BOM at our local quilt shop and occasionally get called to come to the shop to show someone what hand piecing and quilting LOOKS like. I am the only one that is hand piecing the BOM. I am not concerned in how fast I turn out quilts but how relaxing the process is. Its not like I am in a race to see how many quilts I can make. And if you are making quilts to use to keep warm machine piecing and quilting make more sense.
Mabel,
I agree with you totally. There is something very theraputic and healing about hand quilting but it also has to be something a person wants to do. Some honestly can't fathom our wanting to hand quilt. I honestly can't afford to be a machine quilter as it's too costly for supplies. These ladies turn out those quilts amazingly fast which is nice. When it takes me 1 - 4 years to finish a bed quilt, I've really gotten my money's worth out of that fabric and supplies. My heart aches though for the ladies who tell me their families have said "no more quilts Mom/Grandma, we have enough already." My family is thrilled to get a new one and it's because I can't turn them out so quickly. I could see where they'd get annoyed if I bombarded them with quilts. We are so lucky to live in a time where we have choices on what we want to do to fill our time and such a variety of equipment to use to make it faster and easier.