Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What do judges look for when judging quilts in a show?

Blog Entries
    I'm thinking of entering a few quilts as judged entries in the local guild's show next Spring. I know that a certain percentage of the judging is given for different aspects of the presented piece.

Does anyone know, generally, what judges look for and what are some good tips so that a quilt may be considered as a top candidate?

Blog Entries
    I help with the county fair quilts. I listen to the judges while they pick the winners. They always check the binding first, then the quilting.

Pam
    It must hang straight, with even quilting throughout.

No chopped off points, clean intersections. Must have a label and hanging sleeve, depending on the show.

Blog Entries
    intersections meet!

Quote Originally Posted by costumegirl
    I'm thinking of entering a few quilts as judged entries in the local guild's show next Spring. I know that a certain percentage of the judging is given for different aspects of the presented piece.

Does anyone know, generally, what judges look for and what are some good tips so that a quilt may be considered as a top candidate?

Blog Entries
    also they look at the quilting!

They want the binding at the corners to be sewn down at the diagonal turnings. and the borders to match the quilt pattern.

balanced quilting, visual impact, use of color and creativity. binding needs to be full to the edges. straight, squared, edges not rippled/wavy. borders proportionate to the center of the quilt. even stitches.
    they see the visual impact of the quilt first just like we all do, then they start measuring and checking out the technique, and quality of workmanship. make sure you follow any rules such as size, hanging sleeve guidelines (if required) appliques need to be attached well (as with any embellishments)
    the judges write up a little report on each quilt even if you do not win any ribbons their criticism is invaluable, read it and look over your quilts and learn, never take it personal...they are not making personal judgements, they do not even know who's quilt they are judging.

The National Quilting Associatiion website has lots of information on judging criteria.
    http://nqaquilts.org/judges/judges-about.php
    http://nqaquilts.org/judges/judges-faq.php
    Although local shows (quild, county fair, 4-H, etc) may differ slightly, it can't hurt to aim high. Most show committees will let you know in advance what the quilts will be judged on and if you Google quilt judging criteria, you will find a wealth of additiiional information online.

One thing I also remember from helping at local fairs is as someone mentioned, even quilting throughout and there should be no space bigger than the palm of your hand unquilted.

Blog Entries
    Great info!! Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast