Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with leftover batting? >

What to do with leftover batting?

What to do with leftover batting?

Old 11-28-2010, 12:58 PM

I use all mine up to make rag quilts and it works really well. You can easily sew pieces together (I use the multiple zig zag stitch). When you are going to sew pieces together, lay them one atop another, cut with your rotary cutter, remove the scrap edges, then sew the sides which now match. It works well and since the squares for a rag quilt are generally not that large, the fact that you have pieced the batting is not a factor.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:07 PM

There's something to be said for always using the same kind of batting - I have so many different kinds, so would be kind of hard to piece together for larger projects. I like the "Swiffer" suggestion!!
Old 11-28-2010, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Momma_K
Does the tape really work!? How does it hold up in the wash? I'm sure it depends on the stitching when quilted but is it that good? I do like the idea though.
I've used the tape on piecing my batting and it seems to be fine but once you have it inside a quilt, how would one know? I always have left over pieces and the small ones I cut and use in my swiffer. The large ones I zigzag together or more often than not I lay them where they overlap slightly cut them with my rotary cutter so they match up perfectly and whip stitch them together buy hand. I save anywhere I can.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:28 PM

Also you can use any size of batting for rag quilts and they are so easy and fun. All the babies in our family have them and so do all the bigger couch potatoes. I usually use 8" squares of FLANNEL fabric with a 6 inch square of batting but you can use it any size as long as the batting is two inches smaller than the fabric. Rag quilts use 1 inch seams. Then you pile fabric right side down, the batting and the fabric right side up. Sew a seam from corner to corner, then from the other corner to corner to form an X in the block. Your block is done. You sew all your blocks together and into rows. When you like the size, Sew a double seam around the whole outside. Then rag your quilt. That is to make slices about 1/4' in apart on all seams including the outside edge. Wash two or three times cleaning out the lint filter A LOT. When it looks raggy enough it is done.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:45 AM

You can make pillow forms by cutting 2 batting pieces the same size, stitch around 3 sides, stuff with small batting pieces, and stitch the last side closed. It will be smooth, not lumpy.
Nancy