Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with leftover batting? >

What to do with leftover batting?

What to do with leftover batting?

Old 11-27-2010, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
I use them for lining bags, potholders, and piece some together for potholders. Mostly I stuff them in a large plastic bin and forget they're there. I do plan on making a dogbed (#267 on my to-do list) and will prob use them to stuff thatt.
How do you sew them together without a ridge or lump in them?
I just lay the pieces side by side then whip stitch by hand with a very loose stitch. All you need to do is keep the pieces from wondering apart. Or you might cut a strip of thin fabric to lay over the joint then stitch that loosely by machine. That's what old sheets and such are good for.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:58 PM

I use them for lining bags, potholders, and piece some together for potholders. Mostly I stuff them in a large plastic bin and forget they're there. I do plan on making a dogbed (#267 on my to-do list) and will prob use them to stuff thatt.
LOL - #267 on your to-do list - awesome! I'm afraid to write mine down - I keep adding on dozens every week. :mrgreen:
Old 11-27-2010, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by LindaM
LOL - #267 on your to-do list - awesome! I'm afraid to write mine down - I keep adding on dozens every week. :mrgreen:
LOL, I've probably got 67 projects in my sewing bin. started!
Old 11-27-2010, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by grammyp
Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
I piece them back together for use in donation quilts. just use zigzag stiching and they quilt up just like it was never cut.no lumps or bumps.
This is what I do too. Never had a problem with it coming apart.
Me too, unless I happen to need some for a small project (coaster). I use insulbright for potholders, so that doesn't apply to me. If they are too small to zig zag together, I donate them to quilt group that makes dog beds for local animal shelter.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:06 PM

I use the left over batting for potholders, too. Never thought about zigzagging it together! Another great idea learned on the QB!
Old 11-27-2010, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by LindaM
My Mom calls me that Queen of Unfinished projects. Can't help it. Get gun ho on one, and then get tired of it and go to another. Eventually, I get back to the first, but it might be a year or two. Right now have three sandwiched and ready to hand quilt and/or tie, and at least 4 tops in stage of a quilt.
LOL, I've probably got 67 projects in my sewing bin. started!
Old 11-27-2010, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Momma_K
Originally Posted by katiebear1
If I have at strip at least 12 inches wide and the WOF(batting) I save them and when I get about 7 or 8 piecec I sew them together and I hve batting for a twin size. Save more and you can make it bigger. Little scraps I make potholders or casters with. I usually will make some crumb blocks to do this.
May I ask, what are "crumb blocks"?
Crumbs are the little pieces left after you cut your pieces for a block.. I only keep "crumbs that are t least 2 in. square. I really like bigger pieces, but you can use any size scrap . Some quilters use even smaller pieces! There are several tutes on crumb piecing. Check on this message board or Google crumb blocks or crumb quilts.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:35 PM

I don't waste any batting! I use the larger pieces to make baby quilts. I don't stitch them together, instead, I place the largest piece of batting on the quilt back then add other pieces overlapping about 1/2 inch until the backing is completely covered. Carefully add the quilt top and pin. Here's the trick--pin on both sides of the batting "seam" and make sure to quilt heavily. Baby quilts need plenty of quilting if they are going to be dragged around.

Medium sized pieces are used for small quilting projects: purses, table runners, pot holders, etc.

Small pieces of batting are chopped up into about 4 inch pieces. I then pull them apart to make smaller pieces. (They're fluffier this way.) I toss them into a bag and use it for stuffing toy animals for the grandkids and as gifts.
One more idea for stuffed animals is to put a small rock or bb's into a medicine bottle with a child-proof cap and add it to the fullest part of the toy for a rattle.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:50 AM

I zigzag the edges together and make it to the size I want.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:08 AM

Make a sack of muslin or some other material not expensive and cut up the pieces. Stuff it and sew it closed. Donate it to your favorite pet for a nice soft bed that is washable.