Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do y'all use to hold your machine? >

What do y'all use to hold your machine?

What do y'all use to hold your machine?

Old 01-16-2010, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by mtnmama
My husband made my cabinet and it has a lift. I can drop it down for sewing and quilting and then lift it up for embroidery. It is important to have your machine and embroidery module level and it should not move around. Perhaps that is the problem.
Where did you get your lift? Would you recommend one for a ready made cabinet?
Old 01-16-2010, 04:29 PM

My sewing machine sits on our old dining room table, with it's original fold-up pads on it (1/4" thick and taped together so they don't move around). The pads have a vinyl-like upper surface and felt on the underside. I also have 2 leaves in it all the time and both ends up too, so it's pretty big = 37" X 6' 7". This is the dining room table I grew up with and have since inherited the replacement too. I feel real lucky to have so much sewing space to the left of my machine, about a yard by a yard. It's great to have enough room that I can have a thread stand set up all the time in the back right corner and sewing tools, lint roller, machine oil, lint brush, my Otte lamp, etc., to the right. There's enough space for it all. Granted I don't have an embroidery machine set up on it, but I do have my regular sewing machine and a serger set up on it and they never have moved around.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:56 PM

I had the same problem with my sewing machine on a folding table. Like you I couldn't find anything at the thrift store then i saw an ad in the paper for a computer desk with a door for storage on 1 side and 3 drawers on the other was a really cheap price so I bought I. No more problems with shimmy and shake, use the keyboard tray to store my scissors, clippers and seam ripper so they are always at hand.

Jane Sisk
Old 01-16-2010, 05:31 PM

I've had this problem when the machine gets going too. I found that putting it on a heavier desk or table will reduce or eliminate the problem. I now use a converted office desk. DH created something similar to those tables that have a drop-in section. No problems since. Good luck.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:41 PM

Thank you all so much for your ideas and what you use for your machines.

Here's a pic of what I ended up doing.. I also got my machine all hooked up so I could really test out the "movement" issue and thank goodness, she doesn't move, the table doesn't bounce. YAY!!

So thank you to everyone once again!! :thumbup:

Elle and Lucille
[ATTACH=CONFIG]52749[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-52749.jpe  
Old 01-16-2010, 06:41 PM

I use a large oak computer desk. Very solid,Heavy. The shelf under where computer tower and chair would be My DH took off and droped down so it is on the floor,I kept hitting my knees on it, Works perfect that way. I took the key board sliding Tray or drawer off, been thinking about putting it back on. just slips in like any drawer, someone else has one like mine and Her DH put dowels in for thread, Great idea. On the right is 2 cubby shelves and next to them on the right is 3 drawers. Plenty of room, very strudy on shaking. I love it. check with your second hand furn. and Thrift shops.
BillsBonBon
Old 01-16-2010, 07:41 PM

I use some of the non-stick rubber shelf padding on the table under my machine - and also a wooden dowel (pole) under the table as an extra leg right under the location where I set my machine - really gives the extra support to stop the vibrating - plus I can take it on retreats with me - retreat tables are really shakey!
Old 01-17-2010, 06:30 PM

The best table to sew on was the one I made ; I used two double draw file cabinets instead of legs and put a closet door as the table top.. was nice and sturdy and plenty long to work on. If I had the room I would set on like that up again.