Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do y'all use to hold your machine? >

What do y'all use to hold your machine?

What do y'all use to hold your machine?

Old 01-16-2010, 09:44 AM

Do you know anyone who does woodworking? They can find patterns for sewing cabinets and build it for you. Doesn't have to be fancy, just solid. I have one of the big ones, (Koala brand, I think) and absolutely love it!! When sewing machine is not in use, it pushes down into the cabinet, and I have a drop in section that covers the hole. That gives me the entire surface to use for something else. When I want to sew again, I push down lightly on the machine and it lifts back up to sewing height. Patterns should be fairly cheap - or free on the 'net
Old 01-16-2010, 10:44 AM

At your local dollar store you can buy rubber grip mats on a roll. They come 12" by 5' with air holes in different colors. You can cut them to size, I use one under my machine to keep it from sliding when I tilt it and under my foot pedal to keep it in place. I also have custom cut lengths of it to use as a shelf liner for my cabinets before putting in my fabrics. A sturdy surface may help. I got my table at IKEA - it has an adjustable height and I absolutely love the fact that I can lower it for sewing and raise it for cutting, etc.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:22 AM

I had the traveling thing with my serger and my Innovis. I went to the Container Store in Houston and bought a package of Museum Putty. It can be removed and reused. It is a putty like substance. i put a little (dime size) piece in weight bearing area on both of my machine and it is working beautifully. Just started using it this week so I'l let you know if any problems develop. claudiah
Old 01-16-2010, 11:36 AM

I have a Brother Innovis 4000D which is a also a pretty big embroidery machine. I have a dresser in my sewing room and my machine sits on that. It's old but it's full of fabric which gives it the weight it needs to be sturdy and so can support the embroidery machine. It also raises it to a height that allows me to stand and thread, which is a lot more convenient for me than having to sit down and thread. I have a bar stool that I use when I need to sit in front of it and program things in.

Also, to prevent movement, buy some of that spongy nonskid stuff you use inside your cupboards - the lining stuff. One of the gals mentioned it, you can get it at the dollar store. Cut off a piece and put it under your machine. It will hold it in a place and keep it from "walking".

I teach sewing and have a machine in my class that, when you press down the backstitch lever, the machine would lose balance and "rock". When I put the nonskid pad under it, the problem was solved. Now I keep a roll handy and put it under all my machines.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:42 AM

My husband made my cabinet and it has a lift. I can drop it down for sewing and quilting and then lift it up for embroidery. It is important to have your machine and embroidery module level and it should not move around. Perhaps that is the problem.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:58 AM

Like you, I used to have my machine on one of those long tables with the locking legs. I found that when I set the machine right over one of the legs, it performed much better. I think the issue is the bounce in the table. If you like being in the middle, place an additional "leg" under the center as see if it helps. I think that you will find it will.

Marilyn
Old 01-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

I used one of the white folding tables and even for my regular sewing machine if I went too fast it bounced :roll: I just don't think there is not enough support to the plastic part of the table. I had not thought about adding wood to the top to make it more sturdy . I have used mine on a wooden tv tray and no problems , but I don't know how big your machine is
Old 01-16-2010, 01:01 PM

I use an old eight foot table. I covered it with flanned backed plastic ( like a flannel backed tablecloth) I bought by the yard.
Under the three machines on the table I have a piece of rubberized shelf liner. I have no problems with either embroidery machine or my serger moving or jiggling around.
Mama Bair
Old 01-16-2010, 03:28 PM

Oh, goodness. I have the same problem. I have my B/L Ellageo on the same kind of table. It vibrates pretty good sometimes. DH took a piece of wood and made a brace/leg to put underneat the table right in the middle. I, too, am on the lookout for a nice desk or table to modify for my machine.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:51 PM

I bought a new pine kitchen table for $90 and DH cut a hole in it so that my machine sits flush with the table. It's about 4 foot by 25-30 inches. I think you just need something to stabilize the folding table. A lot of the above posts are great suggestions.