Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What do you do when you feel burned out?

Blog Entries

What do you do when you feel burned out?

I have been admiring CKCOWl's beautiful scrap quilt and decided that I just have to drop what I am doing and make one. I have been working so hard on UFOs and BOMs (started last Jan) that I am feeling burned out. My mantra for quilting has always been "if it isn't fun, I'm not going to do it!" and for the last week or so I haven't been having fun. Yes, I need to complete at least some of my UFOs and I simply love the BOMs I am working on, but I think if I stop and make a beautiful scrap quilt I can go back to work on those projects with new enthusiasm. I have a closet full (literally) of scraps that are getting very rowdy and calling my name. Will let you know my progress. Think I will make a make a new table topper with a springtime feel. Feeling more excited by the minute!

Nothing like scraps to perk you up! They are so forgiving and you take all these wonderful trips down memory lane remembering the quilts made with the fabric originally and thinking of everyone who received them.
    have loads of fun and share pictures of your creations.

Like anything that makes us feel burned out, I think walking away for a few days, or weeks, changing projects, helps to refocus on challenge us again? As you said, if it isn't fun, then don't do it.

dd
    I agree, if it isn't fun, it's not worth doing. Can't wait to see what you come up with. When I finish my 40 tablecloths and 10 table skirts, I will join you in a springy table runner. Along with the Spiderman mask, baby quilts, wedding quilts, repairs, Easter outfits, pillowcase dresses, BOM, my pineapple quilt, and the list goes on and on .....
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

I throw a scrap quilt in between every couple of planned projects just for the mindlessness of it, and because the scraps start to take over the sewing room. Even If I don't' finish it, I have yards of sewn up, scraptastic, fabric for future projects all neatly folded up on the shelf rather than lying around in bins all wrinkly and such.
    Last edited by DebraK; 02-23-2012 at 06:38 AM.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

I think the scrap quilt is a good idea...it's so exciting using up scraps, and great to interject something fun in between the "have-tos".
    Last edited by pacquilter; 02-23-2012 at 06:55 AM.

Blog Entries
    If I get burned out on quilting I start re arranging or redoing my sewing room. Works for me.
    Got fabric?

Do what make you happy, quilting should be fun!!!

I walk away for a day or two, I use that time to clean out a closet or something to that nature. Something that has been on the burner, gets done during my quilting down time
    I never believe in the word can't,unless you've tried

I have been burned out since Christmas. I think I need to make a table runner to get myself back in the groove. My problem is that I cleaned up all of my "quilting nest" and I hate to drag it all back out. The grand kids have taken over my sewing room for their toys so I moved to the living room to sew. Today looks like a good day to start.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast