Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you take to do at retreats? >

What do you take to do at retreats?

What do you take to do at retreats?

Old 10-10-2016, 10:23 AM
mac

I also love retreats and the first ones I went to I brought way too many things to do. I am a socializer and do a lot laughter at these things. I have learned to keep my projects simple, small and almost mindless. For instance, I may bring a roll of pre-cuts to do a string quilt, or several pillow cases to do that have been pre-cut by me with all of the parts for each set put in a separate plastic bag. I will also bring a hand project, like my eternal hexie project or my applique tea pot project. I try to keep it to a minimum of 3 projects (1 by hand and 2 by machine), that way I am not schlepping all these things into the sewing room.

I try to do as little cutting as possible at a retreat, so everything I bring is precut and the only cutting I will have to do is sizing up my blocks. I bring my own small cutting matt and my own ironing board (20" x 30") that is made from plywood, insulbright, batting and denim. The cutting matt will fit on top of the ironing board when I need it and under the ironing board when I don't need it. They sit on top of my 24" x 4 Ft table, next to my sewing machine. The table folds down to 24" x 24" for traveling. I find using a Martelli rotary cutter, best for cutting when sitting down, because it is more ergonomic for my hand and wrist.

I have also made a permanent list of things to bring to a retreat. On one side of the page is all of the sewing things to bring and the other side of the page is all of the personal things to pack. It is amazing but in all of the excitement how you can forget something really crucial that you need like underwear or your sewing machine foot peddle. Believe me, I have seen some major things that have been forgotten at these retreats like the time I forgot to bring my CPAP machine and I woke up to someone standing above me and yelling at me to stop snoring. She scared the pajeebers out of me and then I got the giggles, much to everyone's dismay, once I realized she wasn't a ghost.

Yep, happy and fun times happen at a quilting retreat.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

I'm sorry you forgot your machine but your last comments gave me the giggles. Just reminded me of my neighbors story. She's very very well endowed and the last retreat she went on she forgot her bras. She said the girls were every where but where they should've been. She has a bra someone made for her quickly like a criss cross back. Helped but uncomfortable. [QUOTE=mac;7673688]I also love retreats and the first ones I went to I brought way too many things to do. I am a socializer and do a lot laughter at these things. I have learned to keep my projects simple, small and almost mindless. For instance, I may bring a roll of pre
Old 10-10-2016, 11:26 AM

The last week long retreat I went to I worked on a red and white log cabin, queen size. I thought I was seeing red upon completion. I got all done but the binding. I had brought only 2 small projects, did not get them out of the car. One lady that came worked on the fabric/rope baskets all week, it was such fun shopping just a table away. Her hubby went home and got some she had not brought originally. She was selling them so inexpensively and fun to watch her...

Last edited by Grandma Cindy; 10-10-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:43 AM
mac

Maybe we should do a thread on the funniest things that happen at a quilting retreat?
Old 10-10-2016, 03:19 PM

I like to take project "sets". Some are precuts with coordinating fabrics and some are ufos' that need to be done. One of my favorites are my mini scrappy log cabins paper pieced. I have all the scraps in 2 gallon zip loc bags with the papers pre cut. I don't work on every set but I have the choice if I want to. Often I leave projects in the car and go out when I want to switch gears and work on a different item.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:33 PM

ok--since Mac opened the door to "most embarrassing moments at quilt retreat"! Couple of retreats ago I wore my contacts and forgot my glasses--and my toothbrush! Had to drive home (about 45min on way) to get glasses--too much fiber in the air for contacts! Plus, I refuse to wear a bra for HOURS on end while sewing--so don't! My friends tease me about it, so I've started just standing up after dinner and announcing it's "no bra time" and several people laugh and run to their rooms to get into "lounge wear"! We try to have lots of fun while accomplishing something too!

I do take both my good and my travel machine just in case, but STRONGLY suggest that you double check that you have the power cords and foot pedals as several people have had to have DH run them up when left at home.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:51 PM

I take my stuff pre-cut and something that is not too complicated to think about as there is a lot of talking, fun, the odd drink or three and eating. Sewing is just an "excuse". Wink, wink. Enjoy and have fun.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:30 AM

I'm heading to a camp retreat in a couple of weeks. As preparation for it, I've started cutting and kitting up quilts to sew. I try not to do cutting and figuring while at camp. There are too many distractions and I often make mistakes in cutting when overstimulated or distracted. I chose some easy patterns that I've been meaning to get to for about a year. They all use stash only. I'll be sure to bring some extra fabric along if I find I've miscounted or mess something up, but in general, I like to do easy sewing. I never try to make purses or other more complicated projects...I find it too difficult to wrap my head around a new project at retreat.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

I take my overload of scraps and let the others take what they want. We usually dump all scraps on a table and what fun it is to search for that perfect scrap.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:00 AM

I've only been on 2 retreats. However, I brought everything I needed to finish the top and back for the (ugly) quilt I was working on, enough material for 2 other quilts & patterns I wanted to make, cutting mat, rotary cutter, pins, not enough (good quality) sewing machine needles-had to purchase more at LQS, snacks (salty, sugary, caffeinated tea, sugar-I use special sugar) and money (as we went on a couple of field trips to LQS)!

I accomplished a lot at both retreats! I had a great time at both, but learned what I do and don't like and expect out of retreats!

I hope you have a wonderful time and look forward to seeing what you accomplish at your retreat!