Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you think of this ? >

what do you think of this ?

what do you think of this ?

Old 07-17-2011, 10:35 AM

I have to make a quilt for a wedding coming up the 20th of August . The colors my dd picked out for it are the colors of their wedding except for the yellow. We have a bright pink , a green not sure what shade of green,and a yellow . None of these have a print she picked PLAIN yes plain colors.I tried but alas she is the one who picked the fabric so I have to find a pattern of design a quilt with embroidery on it .I love this quilt do you think those colors would look good for this pattern?
[url]http://www.quilterscache.com/E/EndlessChainBlock.html[url]
I was thinking of using the yellow as the background color.Need your opinions please. :?
Old 07-17-2011, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

You will wind up with an uneven color sequence with just 3 colors and this pattern.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:39 AM

I think that is a beautiful block, and would make up as well with a light background as with the black shown.

But...you may want to press for a few more fabrics. I'm afraid that you'll be disappointed with only three -- you'll miss some of the complexity that could come out.

However, it will be your work, and it is your daughter, so if she's sure about what she wants, go for it and don't look back!
Old 07-17-2011, 10:42 AM

I really like this pattern. Trying to envision it in those colors. Will she allow you to add any other colors.? I think it depends on what the shades are. If the green is light the yellow may swallow it. If they are all bright, maybe a white or light neutral background.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:44 AM

There is a black fabric that would work well with flat, bright colours...I don't know the name but it's the most popular black at our quilt shop. On the bolt it looks like there is blue and green mottled lightly through it. What it does though is look like a rich black when put beside a colour....it makes the coloured fabric just pop.

It also gives the quilt top depth and you don't notice that the coloured fabrics are just a plain colour.

Unfortunately I don't know the name of the black, it's just the go to black we all like to use.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

Bright pink, green, and yellow made me think of the single wild roses that we'd see now and then.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:40 AM

A Double Irish Chain would be nice using the yellow as the larger center block and the pink and green for the small blocks and squares. With the yellow center block it would show off the embrodiery that you mentioned, provided that the yellow is pale and not a bright overbearing yellow.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by cassie69emt
I have to make a quilt for a wedding coming up the 20th of August . The colors my dd picked out for it are the colors of their wedding except for the yellow. We have a bright pink , a green not sure what shade of green,and a yellow . None of these have a print she picked PLAIN yes plain colors.I tried but alas she is the one who picked the fabric so I have to find a pattern of design a quilt with embroidery on it .I love this quilt do you think those colors would look good for this pattern?
[url]http://www.quilterscache.com/E/EndlessChainBlock.html[url]
I was thinking of using the yellow as the background color.Need your opinions please. :?

Here's one version of how it would look

Quickly made this for you
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227829[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-227823.jpe  
Old 07-17-2011, 12:08 PM

This is an awesome pattern.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:28 PM

I was going to suggest a light butter yellow, to offset the brighter green & pink. And, that's what leatheflea did in her workup. I think it will work. the linked pattern has a range of 8 dif fabrics. could you get tonal ranges 4 each of the green & pink. That would be very dynamic. I also like the idea of the bright yellow, pink, green with black background.