Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you use to mark your quilts? >

What do you use to mark your quilts?

What do you use to mark your quilts?

Old 12-28-2016, 08:12 PM

Default What do you use to mark your quilts?

I recently finished making two quilts for Christmas (as gifts). One was a hand quilted king size, the other was a large throw size that was made using a quilt-as-you-go method. For the king sized quilt, I used Roxanne Quilter's Choice marking pencils, and the other I used the same marking pencils as well as a #2 graphite pencil. While none of the marks I made were heavy (and I starched the fabric before I marked with graphite pencil), many of them did not wash out! So what do you use to mark quilting lines? What washes out best?
Old 12-28-2016, 08:23 PM

I don't hand quilt, but on the long arm I either use a Bohan chalk pencil or a F & P ceramic chalk pencil or a disappearing blue (with water) pen--several brands for this. I also just recently used a green Crayola Ultra Clean marker--it came right out of the fabric ,but discolored the poly thread I used to quilt with, so won't use it again with that.---but it did wash right out of the cotton fabric.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:55 PM

Crayola Ultra Clean markers, but not the red or pink. I haven't had a problem with it discoloring my thread, but maybe have only used cotton with them. Thanks for the warning, QST!
Old 12-29-2016, 01:22 AM

I usually mark as I go, so the white Chaco chalk refillable pen style or a sliver of soap works for me on dark and medium fabrics, and for light fabrics I prefer the purple air erase-able marker, but will use the blue water soluble one if I need the marks to stay visible for more than a couple of hours.

Rob
Old 12-29-2016, 04:11 AM

For dark fabrics I use the Bohin mechanical pencil with a white 'lead'. For light fabrics I use a regular mechanical pencil with #2 lead. Occasionally I have issues with that but not often (only a problem when I change my mind!). Usually a bit of dish soap and some light scrubbing on those areas will take care of the problem. I've also used the graphite and other colored leads in a thicker mechanical pencil (came as a kit) that I picked up in JoAnns years ago. Sorry - don't remember the brand but I know they still carry them. Usually found with the other notions. That graphite lead I had zero issues with.

I've never had much luck with the Roxanne pencils - the lead keeps breaking off and I like/need a sharp point on my marking pencils. I've tried a bunch of different marking tools and the above are what I have found to work for me.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

The best advice I got about marking was to test every time, even if it's a product you have used before, and test with every fabric in the quilt. Marking tools can react differently with different fabric finishes and dyes from one project to the next.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:24 AM

Such good advice PaperPrincess! I had a quilt that I had used a few different things to mark and some of them washed out in some of the fabrics and some didn't in other fabrics.

I don't like the Roxanne pencils either because, like NJQuilter said, they tend to break and before long I have a nubbin of a pencil!

There are lots of thread here on marking, do a search and read through some of them and then just try different things. You my find you use this on one project and that on another. Can be frustrating but you get to my more quilty goodies and we all love to do that right .
Old 12-29-2016, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

[ATTACH=CONFIG]564553[/ATTACH]On medium and dark fabrics I use white chalk!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 12-29-2016, 07:13 AM

I use the quilter's choice chalk pencils too, but I've stopped using #2 pencils and now use #4 artists pencils as it has a softer graphite & is easier to mark with. I haven't had a problem with getting them out in the wash. I have also tried the Crayola washable markers and they came out fantastic; I was impressed, but would hesitate if you aren't going to quilt the marked spots right away. Test it for time you can leave it in first, and still get it out easily.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:36 AM

I use the Bohin chalk pencil too, but in a video tute by Rob at ManSewing, he recommended using a white chalk pencil that you get in the section of art/craft store that has charcoals and pastels for drawings. He uses the "General" brand which was about $4.50 for 2 pencils at Hobby Lobby. I thought I died and went to heaven when I first used it. They have no wax in them so they will wash out or brush out, but do hold if you have to put the project up-just fade a little. It was in his tute on planning your quilting and drawing your free motion design.