Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you use??

What do you use to clean the lint out of your machine with?

It depends on how bad. I have a small brush as well as small vacumn attachments. And then I use the can of air spray like you use on computers.

Don't use canned air on your machines. It drives the lint into the machine's moving parts and can cause costly repairs. It's also very cold, and that's not good for electronic machines. I use a q-tip with one drop of machine oil on it. It attracts the lint and safely removes it. Use the brush that comes with your machine also. Clean your machine often to avoid repairs also.

Blog Entries
    the canned air appears to be helpful because the machine is cleaner to the naked eye. however, it isn't a good idea.

the pressurized air drives the lint and other foreign matter deeper into the mechanisms. over time, it does more harm than good.

I use a small (pencil sized) paint brush.

I use the brush that comes with the machine and also pipe cleaners. They seem to grab the lint and fuzz build-up real well.

I use the brush that came with the machine and sometimes the vaccum when it makes it up to the sewing room. I clean the machine after every top I quilt. It's amazing how much lints builds up that you can see, imagine what you can't see. Like the qtip idea.

Blog Entries
    I use a pipe cleaner, bent in half often.Now & then I remove the bobbin & blow some canned air in it.

Don't get much lint unless using flannel/fleece & that's one reason for using good thread...less lint.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    the canned air appears to be helpful because the machine is cleaner to the naked eye. however, it isn't a good idea.

the pressurized air drives the lint and other foreign matter deeper into the mechanisms. over time, it does more harm than good.
    I just bought a new machine and in the manual it states in large letters not to use the canned air and also not to blow into it, it blows the dust into the machine causing damage.

I use tiny makeup brushes to remove the lint from the bobbin area after every change of the bobbin. I also lift up the plate (can't think of it's name) under the needle to make sure the feed dogs are nice and lint free also. I do have those tiny vacuum tools that I use for the computer and also bobbin area when necessary. I too, have been told not to use the canned air.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast