Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you wash fabric with? >

what do you wash fabric with?

what do you wash fabric with?

Old 01-08-2015, 02:09 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I wash fabrics with my regular laundry detergent because I know I don't react to that. NEVER use dryer sheets, fastest way ever to get a rash for me!!
Old 01-08-2015, 04:35 PM

When I wash fabric I do it just like my regular laundry. If it is something like flannel I will use hot water to be sure it goes ahead and shrinks.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:50 PM

I pink the raw edges first so I know that it's been washed when it goes back into my stash.

I wash the fabric in Tide Unscented using hot water and a couple of colour catchers.

If the catchers tell me I should wash again, I use the same method throwing in the used colour catchers and adding one teaspoon of Dawn Dishwashing Liquid (the original blue stuff) plus another colour catcher. Since I started adding the Dawn about a month ago, I've been shocked to see the new catcher comes out white: Dawn stops the bleeding dead in its tracks!

The washed and rinsed (never add softener) fabric goes into the dryer on low or medium (high trips the breaker).

I usually don't bother pressing until I'm ready to use the fabric.

BTW, the original Pin with the Dawn tip said to use one tablespoon. That's waaaay too much! It was touch and go if the foam was going to overflow my top loading machine. One teaspoon works just fine.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:05 PM

I wash my fabric just as I do my regular laundry. Because of repeated staining issues (in my regular laundry), I stopped using liquid softener and switched to dryer sheets. I do not use them when prewashing fabrics though. I do use the dryer sheets when washing the finished quilt. I've done this with Quilts for Kids and have not had issues with them but I agree checking with the specific charity would be a good idea.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:11 PM

It looks like a lot of people use color catchers, has anyone tried a homemade version ? I found this, http://www.budget101.com/content.php/4461

trying to get the smell out of some clothes that were given to me, 3 washes, with vinegar and ALL and hung out in the sun for a week, and they still smell so strong! some detergents seem impossible to get the smell out of. Im surprised people that use this stuff aren't bothered by the smell. My friend keeps her laundry detergent in her food cupboard, and sometimes she'll make something that actually tastes like the laundry detergent.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:19 PM

Are the color catchers scented ? or unscented ?
Old 01-08-2015, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I wash using my regular tide unscented and do not use fabric softener when washing fabric. Fabric softener can leave a residue on fabric that some fusibles (for applique) will not stick to.
I do exactly the same with the addition of colour catcher, which are unscented. No dryer sheets. Plain unscented detergent - regardless of whether I'm washing my own or charity quilts.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:53 PM

I wash as usual, rinse twice, never use fabric softner as some patients cannot tolerate the smell or skin contact. Especially those under going chemo treatments. I also let the group receiving them know that I have washed, dried, no fabric softner used.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by bee3 View Post
Are the color catchers scented ? or unscented ?
Unscented.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:57 PM

I use my regular laundry detergent, a color catcher, water temp, and dryer, same as regular laundry.