Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you wash fabric with? >

what do you wash fabric with?

what do you wash fabric with?

Old 01-08-2015, 12:03 PM

Default what do you wash fabric with?

Hi, I just posted about working with fabric and getting a rash, and it seems mostly everyone that replied washes their fabrics first. I was wondering what you use to wash your fabric with, before or after you quilt. I am sensitive to scents in fabric detergent so have to use non scented like ALL for sensitive skin or Seventh Generation unscented. Wondered what everyone uses, and what you use if your donating a quilt to a charity?
Also, any suggestions on how to get rid of strong detergent odors from clothing or fabric? Ive washed 3 x and hung in the sun, but still can smell it. Must be the dryer sheets that stay on forever.
Thanks,
Barb
Old 01-08-2015, 12:12 PM
Power Poster

I wash using my regular tide unscented and do not use fabric softener when washing fabric. Fabric softener can leave a residue on fabric that some fusibles (for applique) will not stick to.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:18 PM

I use my normal laundry detergent. I seldom use softener or dryer sheets.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:20 PM

I use All unscented, for all washing. A charity quilt would receive the exact same care, as a quilt for a beloved family member.

to remove unwanted laundry scents, try washing with a good dose of white vinegar.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:30 PM

About charity quilts, i was wondering if they should be washed in a hypoallergenic detergent as well as non scented in case going to someone with health issues.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

I wash similar colors on the HOT setting with my regular detergent and color catcher so I can be aware if I have a bleeder and get any shrinkage out of the way. If I there is color on the color catcher, I double check the suspected offenders (deep saturated colors or batiks) by it self in plain water. Sometimes it is just excess dye being released. If I have a bleeder I wash again in HOT water with Retayne. No fabric softeners, no dryer sheets, I find those are usually the worst offenders when it comes to added fragrance. I dry the fabric in the dryer until it is barely damp then iron it and put it into stash. Once the quilt is done I wash it in cold water from then on out, regular laundry detergent and tumble dry unless it is a show quilt, that I will wash and block to dry. I like to make sure a quilt can be easily machine washed and dried before gifting it. I also want to be sure all seams and quilting is ok and doesn't come apart in the wash. I've only gifted one quilt to charity and it was going to Romania so no health issue was involved, it was going to the poor.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:46 PM

I do the same as some of the others. All of mine(my clothes also) in hypoallergenic laundry detergents. As for odors, I find that a little vinegar helps and does not add anything harmful.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by bee3 View Post
About charity quilts, i was wondering if they should be washed in a hypoallergenic detergent as well as non scented in case going to someone with health issues.
Definitely a good idea! :-)
Old 01-08-2015, 12:55 PM

We use unscented everything because DH is sensitive to smells. So I just wash the fabric same way I would wash the finished quilt. I use warm water & my regular detergent, with color catchers. If anything seems like it's a bleeder I'll re-wash with color catchers again and see how it looks.

I wash my quilts when I'm finished too - I usually use Elmer's to glue-baste so it's not an option to leave it unwashed! But even if I didn't use glue I wash the finished quilt at least once, sometimes twice if a cat gets on it before I can give it away - that way I can tell the recipient that it's tested in the washing machine and 100% safe to just toss into the machine at home.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nanacc View Post
I do the same as some of the others. All of mine(my clothes also) in hypoallergenic laundry detergents. As for odors, I find that a little vinegar helps and does not add anything harmful.
When making charity quilts of any sorts, and for any destination .... you are best to check the "rules" first before making it. Some have specific requirements regarding fabrics, battings, construction, sizes (minimum/maximum) laundering, etc. It'd be better to know up-front than to have a quilt rejected, and thus be disappointed.

When pre-washing fabric, I give it a lot of tough love! My normal laundry detergent (unscented) with hot water for the wash and a colour catcher to monitor what happens! Then similarly a hot dryer. If bleeding occurs, then I will usually re-wash as sometimes it's a once only thing. If it continues, then a Retayne treatment. Then after the fact it's TLC with cold or warm water, regular laundry detergent and a gentle warm dryer.

As already said by others, I'd sooner find out what's going to happen to a fabric before I put a lot of work into it ... bleeding? shrinkage? texture/quality? Some fabrics have a lot of filler, and turn wimpy and flimsy after the fact. Some tighten up the weave and become a nicer than ever fabric with all that abuse! And one cannot always predict about these three, as to which fabrics it might be!