Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you wash fabric with? >

what do you wash fabric with?

what do you wash fabric with?

Old 01-08-2015, 09:46 PM

When I'm ready to make something I surge the raw edges with cheap white serger thread. I wash like I would wash and dry a finished article, but do not use any type of softner at all. However, I do include a color catcher if I suspect there could be bleeding. Also, the white thread tells tales. If the white thread is discolored I wash again with color catcher before I attempt to dry the fabric. I dry on hot; don't like to hear a finished article shrank after being washed.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:23 AM

When I am washing new fabric I use the Unscented Tide or Woolite, and no fabric softener nor do I use dryer sheets for fabric to be used in quilts. Depending of the fabric will dictate whether or not to use a color catcher.

I just recently found the Tide Unscented and so thrilled to find it. Before that I used Unscented All detergent. When I get fabric that has a strong odor I use vinegar to help remove the smell and also baking soda helps. I was hoping the Oxyclean would help, but it doesn't appear to do anything that is odor related.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:59 AM

I use my regular laundry detergent and a color catcher with NO fabric softener, and add vinegar to the rinse as it aids in removing excess detergent. I will not send it through the dryer until color catchers come out white. For odors, there is nothing better than Borax.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:12 AM

I use Dreft laundry detergent to prewash my fabric. I don't use a dryer sheet or fabric softener when I wash and dry fabric.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:48 AM

I use regular unscented Tide and I use woolzies in the dryer and have for about a year. They last for 6000 times in the dryer. They are wonderful. I bought them on line at Walgreens. I bought 6 of them and use all of them with all my clothes and fabric. I wash fabric before I use it. Wash the fabric, put in the woolzies and run the dryer on low for 10 minutes and then hand press the fabric and hang them on hangers or on the line in the basement. http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/woo...189603-product
Old 01-09-2015, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by HouseDragon View Post

Since I started adding the Dawn about a month ago, I've been shocked to see the new catcher comes out white: Dawn stops the bleeding dead in its tracks!

Actually, the Dawn does not stop the bleeding but acts more like Synthrapol in that it suspends loose dye particles in the water so they do not settle on your color catcher. If you have a bleeder and you want to set the dye you must use a dye fixative like retayne.

Dawn is great to use if you inadvertently used a bleeder in a completed quilt. It has been known to not only remove the offending bleed but keep it from settling on neighboring fabrics again. A few months back I posted a link to a hand dying blogger who did a great experiment with testing dawn, synthrapol, Dharma's generic Synthrapol and another product with great results from blue dawn.

Here it is again
http://vickiwelsh.typepad.com/field_...read-this.html
Old 01-09-2015, 05:39 AM

I do not use detergent when washing my fabric. I use warm water and a gentle cycle with a color catcher to see if anything bleeds.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

I usually overcast the raw edges with a serger or zigzag stitch before dunking them.

I soak like colors ( in case one of them wants to share its dye - if the other pieces pick up some of the dye, it won't matter much) in hot water (from the tap) - and soak them until the water cools to room temperature.

If the water turns color, I isolate the fabric that is contributing color and soak and rinse it some more. If that piece continues to lose dye after several rinses, it gets discarded.

After I am fairly comfortable that all those fabrics - including the intense colors- can be washed with whites, then I will wash them in cold to warm water with a "small" amount of detergent and then line or machine dry it. I am not picky about the detergent I use, but prefer to use the gentler ones.

I feel that the fabrics I use in an "everyday" sort of quilt - that the user of that quilt should be able to wash it with no concerns for "special" care such as having to use color catchers or vinegar or synthrapol.

However - I will strongly suggest to avoid using bleach and to dry promptly after washing.

I would rather spend some extra time and effort on the fabric before cutting it than fret about it later.

For quilts that will be donated, I try to use something unscented that is hypoallergenic because I think whoever gets it may have health issues and I do not want that quilt to exacerbate any problems.

Last edited by bearisgray; 01-09-2015 at 06:22 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:13 AM

I usually use Woolite on my material and quilts.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:34 AM

My DH is allergic to most scents and gets rashes from detergents. I use unscented All and double rinse everything. I am amazed at how white my whites are with the double rinsing. Detergent lingering in fabrics seems to make fabrics look dingy.