Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to expect when looking for a new machine >

What to expect when looking for a new machine

What to expect when looking for a new machine

Old 09-13-2013, 12:26 PM

Default What to expect when looking for a new machine

I am considering buying a new machine. What can I expect when I go? Will I be allowed to touch the machine? What kind of time is usually time and information are dealers willing to give? Are they usually upfront about pricing? I,m asking because a dealer told me they would only give me a demo, I couldn't thread the machine and sew a straight line with it.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:29 PM

I would go to a different dealer. When I got mine, I was allowed to sit and play with it like it was my own.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:39 PM

It's been a long time since I bought a machine. Am curious if selling practices have changed.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:51 PM

I was allowed to sew when I went looking. I only looked at the two local shops, but they had fabric for me to "play with." (I had brought my own also, just in case.)

I was an unusual case, as I was looking for a very quiet machine, and my husband had fixed up a device that measured the ....oh, sound waves, I guess....not sure what it measured. I just know that when pointer pointed to a higher number, it was louder. We were looking for a machine that wouldn't interfere with his amateur radio equipment, which is in the room next to my sewing machine.

The sales clerks were very nice and no one fussed about this extra test. This was 3 years ago. I would not have bought a machine from a place that wouldn't let me sew with their machines. The sale prices were right on the machines. I didn't ask for a better deal, which isn't in my nature anyway, because the sale prices seemed good, not too far off of what I found online.

Dina

Last edited by Dina; 09-13-2013 at 12:52 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-13-2013, 12:58 PM

Talk about special requests!,,,,

Does anyone put the reputation and location criteria above the kind of machine they buy? I looked on line and was thinking of getting a brother from this local shop before the no touch policy. Now I will have to travel or start looking at other brands.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:29 PM

Definitely go to a different dealer. You should be able to try every operation that the machine offers (or at least every operation that you intend to use). Sometimes the dealer will just let you play, sometimes they will sit and give you a demo then say "ok now you try" and remain there with you .. but either way YOU should be the one controlling the machine.

Additionally, if you were interested in purchasing a used machine, you should try that specific machine, not just a new machine of the same model.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:30 PM

I bought a Janome recently and was allowed to sew straight, play with the different fancy stitches and the shop also gave me a mini quilt sandwich so I could try FMQ.
If they don't let you try all the features I would go elsewhere.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:36 PM

Touch it! I was allowed to take it apart! i have been sewing for 66 years, gone through lots of machines til I got my Viking DIamond for embroidery...and I did take a screw driver to it...well, I changed needles, feet, took off the bobbin cover plate, took out the assembly, took the embroidery unit off and reinstalled it. I don't want a surprise when I get home...lots to learn on a new machine, so spending some time to get acquainted with it is only the smart thing to do.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:39 PM
Power Poster

Run from that dealer. I did not like the place I got my last machine from but I could come and sew on their demos any time I wanted to and as long as I wanted to. I could also bring in my own fabrics, different types, and try sewing items that I normally sew on.

Originally Posted by Josieneedles View Post
I am considering buying a new machine. What can I expect when I go? Will I be allowed to touch the machine? What kind of time is usually time and information are dealers willing to give? Are they usually upfront about pricing? I,m asking because a dealer told me they would only give me a demo, I couldn't thread the machine and sew a straight line with it.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

I've been to several dealers. The most recent one had the machine I researched on line. He opened the box and let me play with it. And answered questions, and showed me a few things. He also told me I wouldn't be happy with it. Probably trying to upsell, but, I am happy with it as it serves the purpose I wanted it for. He was a character but I would go back there.