Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What inspires you to start a new project? >

What inspires you to start a new project?

What inspires you to start a new project?

Old 11-25-2013, 03:05 AM

Default What inspires you to start a new project?

I have a lot of hobbies, and they all take turn in devouring me. (Besides quilting I do machine knitting, sewing and embroidery, jewelry, clay pigeon shooting, photography, dog agility and cycling) I have some attention span problem. Anyway, I was just thinking of what it is that attracts me to quilting. It's not something that has been passed down to me from grandparents, quilts are not that common in Sweden. But the thing is that I love my sewing machines. I don't get inspired by fabrics or patterns. But I love, love, love my machines. I love to find new techniques. And it's the same thing with my other hobbies, there's usually a gadget or a technique that I just want (need) to master.

I'm interested in hearing how it is for the rest of the board members. Is it the fabrics, the techniques, the tools or machines or something else that drives your creativity? Why do you enjoy quilting?
Old 11-25-2013, 03:13 AM
Power Poster

I too have many 'hobbies' -- but most are connected to some sort of fiber-- I am very 'drawn' to anything Textile- all kinds of fabrics, yarns, even some papers- quilting, rug hooking, knitting , crochet, weaving, embroidery, tatting...the list goes on & on...if textiles are involved I am checking it out- trying it out; some I go back to frequently- some on rare occasions. I spend most time quilting and rug hooking- trying new techniques, learning new things- but so many other things can be used while quilting/ hooking - embellishments, embroidery, felting...never ending supply of inspiration.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:41 AM

I am just curious to learn.... and I have always had many hobbies! For awhile it was knitting, crochet, sewing, oil painting, cross country skying, downhill skiing. I still do genealogy, golfing, cycling, piecing and handquilting, cross stitch and, nowadays it is fmq, scrappy quilts. I don't think I have attention span problem but I like to keep busy and I am still eager to keep learning! I love seeing result for my efforts.

Last edited by helou; 11-25-2013 at 03:43 AM. Reason: adding to the list...
Old 11-25-2013, 04:27 AM

Its several things combined. I love fabric and i love combining fabrics. I would sew garments but never quite mastered that. I like making quilts...they endure much longer than a garment would. Its nice knowing something I made might hold some value (and be useful too!) to someone after i'm gone. Its a way to express myself creatively because I'm no artist but there's a part of me in each one I make. I also like gifting quilts because nothing expresses love and affection more than a hand-made gift. Its just fun to envision something in your head and then see it take shape under your machine. and speaking of machines...love them too i sometimes wonder if its really just an excuse to use a machine. the whole process is a joy to me from start to almost finish (hate bindings).
Old 11-25-2013, 04:35 AM

I made my clothes from the time I was 13, then sewed for my kids then grands and then there was no one left to sew for and I missed sewing so I took up quilting. I am self taught and love this board. No its mostly the fabrics and putting them together. I love Love LOVE to piece. I am making myself finish 5 projects that are pieced and put aside before I start something new. I have 4 laid out on paper and a couple in my head to start. My long arm quilter will be busy after the holidays!!
Old 11-25-2013, 04:54 AM

I'm a fabrics girl. Sometimes, I will see a pattern that makes me want to start immediately but usually, it's a fabric. I used to do alot of different crafts, watercolors, needlepoint, scrapbooking. They all focused on graphic arts. Quilting is just a practical extension of that.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:55 AM

Same as Helou but when I see something or a pattern not done before must have a go. My mind is wide awake for new things but brilliant at remembering twenty or more years ago, sorry not yesterday.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:19 AM

What inspires me to start a new project... usually see a pattern that is calling me see if I can make it. I never make the same pattern more than twice and usually just once. Once I've made it don't want to mess with it again.
I have so many hobbies it would take me forever to list them all... spend way to much money on each and then will lose interested and go on to something else. My quilting has been one that has endured since I was a child and quilted with my mother and grandmother. Took a few years off when it was necessary for me to work full time but have always come back to it. Now that I'm retired have the time to spend at the sewing machine and enjoy making gifts for the family.

Last edited by scrapinmema; 11-25-2013 at 05:29 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:29 AM

I think its the fabrics that inspire me, and the colors. Guess thats why I have so much of it!!
Old 11-25-2013, 05:34 AM

I have been sewing since I was 13 and use to say when I was working fulltime, "I wish I was home sewing". Then when I was taking car of my Grandson, I decided to try to make jewelry cause I could do that when I was helping with homework and in the main part of the house. I sell my things at craft shows and soon found that there were so many people making jewelry that I could not stick with jewelry. I like to sew 1st place and jewelry 2nd. I have made other crafts like dressing up bears and doing flower wreaths and xmas wreaths and baskets with pine cones and lights. Fabric and quilting magazines are my love love love.