Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What inspires you to start a new project? >

What inspires you to start a new project?

What inspires you to start a new project?

Old 11-25-2013, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

I've had a passion for paper crafting (that's why I'm the Paper Princess, living at the Paper Palace) since I was small, and I'm a gadget freak. I've had big die cutters since the early 90's, and you should see my paper stash. I never scrapbooked, but do event and party paper: invitations, favors, programs etc. Did that as a side job and worked with an event planner for years, which is why I know I don't want to quilt for hire!
I've always sewn and knit, but it was garment construction, and out of necessity. I got away from both when I got a job and could buy ready made. Started back into both about 10 years ago and found I really liked the process when I didn't HAVE to do it.
What inspires me in quilting is fabric and technique. I'm with MariaTherese: show me a new technique and I'm there, and with all the gorgeous quilting fabrics available now, it's hard to resist! I've only been quilting about 4 years and my fabric stash is rivaling my paper one (I'm not going to mention my ruler & template collection).
I really wish I had a passion for some type of active sport or hobby to balance my sit down activities!
Old 11-25-2013, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

I am mostly inspired by a pattern. I discovered a pattern called Warm Wishes on this board and right away, the light went on and I knew the fabric that I had for decades would work for making a charity quilt.
Attached Thumbnails warm-wishes-strawberry-2.jpg  
Old 11-25-2013, 07:31 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one with 'crafter's ADD'!! I tend to flit from hobby to hobby too but I always circle back around to things; often with a fresh perspective and/or a few ideas on how to overlap separate hobbies together. I adore the mixed media movement (although my own stuff tends to be more compartmentalized) and I read a lot of blogs and magazines that I find inspirational.

Colors inspire me. I loooove colors, all sorts of colors. Fabric, paper, paint, pencils, markers, thread, yarn, clay, beads.....I don't care what it is, it's the colors that inspire me. I've said more than once that I started quilting just so I'd have an excuse to buy fabric and while that's not TOTALLY true, it's partially true.

I also love crafting tools and often "borrow" things from one hobby for another. Not just big expensive tools either; I get thrills from little things like doll needles and bone folders - simple things that can be used for so many purposes!
Old 11-25-2013, 07:35 AM

I belong to a quilting bee of about 10 members and someone is always coming up with a project for us to do -- sometimes I see a picture on QB that inspires -- this year's Christmas gifts for the family come from a posted picture by one of the board members, an easy table topper -- I have made sets of a table topper and 2 smaller placemat versions from seeing her posting!!
Old 11-25-2013, 07:55 AM

what doesn't inspire me to make something? I have to be inspired to finish the projects ;-) That is probably a good thing. the right person and reason comes along to nudge me to the end. It's nice to have something waiting in the wings to give away. ;-)

Makes me happy, and hopefully, the recipient happy ;-)

Last edited by DebraK; 11-25-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:11 AM

I also do many different crafts. I love making quilts, doing needlepoint, counted cross stitch, knitting, machine embroidery and scrapbooking just to name a few. For me I will see a project and then I know I have to make one. After I am done I get a sense of accomplishment then I am ready to move on to the next thing. In knitting I enjoy the process of the making of it even more than the finished product. It's like I want to prove to myself that I can do it. When done I move on to the next project. The only BAD thing is I wish I was as successful with dieting as am with crafts!!!!
Old 11-25-2013, 08:59 AM

I only quilt now - have done cross stitch and needlepoint in the past. It is a toss up, sometimes it is the fabric calls to me and says you have to buy me and make something (or just buy) sometimes I find a pattern that I fall in love with and then have to go searching for fabric.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

I use to do more hobbies. Now I just make quilts.
What inspires me to make another quilt, is finishing one. Immediately start one as I finish one up.
Don't know how much time I have left here and I want to use up as much fabrics as I can.
I bought the fabrics to use, not to leave for someone else to use. I'm working with scraps now.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:22 AM

Oh, goodness! I thought you were all hard-core quilters here. But it turns out most of you are like me. Like a bee flying from flower to flower. And exactly that, I don't want to leave this world not having tried everything I had the urge to...

And I agree with PaperPrincess regarding making your hobby your business. I did wedding photography during a period about 10 years ago. Nothing killed my photography creativity like that. I couldn't sleep before every wedding having to anticipate every event. Would it rain? Will there be electricity in sufficient amount. Did I pack the right flash and backdrop... All knowing I had the responsibility to document the biggest day in the bride and grooms life.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:07 AM

Interesting question. I just realized something about me, my obsessions, and my latest obsession which is making quilts. Over fifty years I've done (pretty much in this order):

Knitting
Crochet
Embroidery
Sewing (to save money, not so much as a hobby)
Weaving
Quilt making by hand, both sewing and quilting. Hated both and never made another quilt for over thirty years.
Hardanger
Needlepoint. I still adore needlepoint and hope I live long enough to see it rise to the top in popularity again.
Blackwork
Counted Cross Stitch

And back around to QUILTS.

What did I learn about myself? During all those crafty years, I worked on one project at a time. But since talking up quiltmaking again, I work on multiple quilty projects at a time.

Too much inspiration! Batiks! A beautiful line of fabrics! A fantastic pattern! A new Bonnie Hunter Mystery!