Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of needle is this?

I got tin of attachments at the thrift store and this was in it. At first I thought it was a fishing hook, when I realized it was a needle, I thought it was bent and almost threw it away. When I went to look at it closer to see how in the world it got bent that way I realized thats the way it was made. I did a google search on curved needles and didnt see one like this. Its made by Organ, size 75/11. Went there but they dont really show what the needles look like. The twin needle was in the tin also, I put it in the photo to get size perspective. Ive never seen a needle like this, so Im assuming its for a type of machine Ive never used. What in the heck is it?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    My guess it is, indeed, a bent & unusable sewing machine needle. The owner may have saved it for "buying one like this" purposes. (IMHO) :)

that said, I did find this:

http://www.ismacs.net/needle_and_sha...rt-curved.html So, it looks like I am wrong, and there is such a thing as curved sewing machine needle.

...it does sort of mystify me...

Have no idea. It will be interesting to see what it really is. Don't see how it oculd be used on a machine. How could it go through the hole?

Blog Entries
    Really interesting. Organ produces a curved blindstitch needle for a blindstitch machine. Could it be a 'bent' one of those?
    http://www.thesewingoutlet.com/produ...Box-of-50.html

Looks bent to me. Could I ask - what about it makes you believe it was intentionally made that way?

It looks just like a bent needle. I think they usually break. I just recently bent a titanium needle and it looked just like that one.

Blog Entries
    Looks bent to me too :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by quiltmouse
    My guess it is, indeed, a bent & unusable sewing machine needle. The owner may have saved it for "buying one like this" purposes. (IMHO) :)
    I agree .. this is a machine needle ... but there is no way it would ever be able to be used in a machine.
    I might have saved one like this as a reminder to not sew over pins, or make sure the proper foot is on and the needle over function is not still engaged.... as I have made a few needles like that by leaving my single hole 1/4 inch foot on and then tried to sew a zig zag.

Huh, I just assumed it was made that way because when I looked at it closer it just seemed to be made that way, no jagged pieces and the curves were smooth. I just picked it up and was messing with it and it broke :) should have done that before I posted I guess...lol

Hey, I have one just like it when I was FMQ and hit something strange and I just knew I had totally messed up my machine. I saved it too. Mine looks smooth also, like a fish hook.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast