Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What kind of needle is this?

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    OK.. I just vote .. It looks dangerous !!!!

Banned
    Liberty Hill - Central TEXAS Hill Country
    Quote Originally Posted by mamacool
    my guess is that it's an upholstry maching needle?
    That's what I first thought of also - just don't remember one end being kinda 'squared' as much as that one.

I have a blind stitch hem machine and that is not the way they look. They are curved but not that much and not on the end like that.That is just a bent needle.

Hey that needle looks like what I did to my last sewing machine. The shuttle didn't lock right and the needle hit the bobin case. It didn't sew right after that. The other needle I never did figure it out how to use it.

Blog Entries
    Year ago they used to give away packets of different size needles and among them was a curved upholstery needle. I still have one of those packets and occassionaly use one of those needles. Don't know for sure if this is one of those.

looks like my needle when my embroidery machines top tention messes up it hooks just like that.

It is bent. I would throw it away.

Quote Originally Posted by loves2quilt
    I got tin of attachments at the thrift store and this was in it. At first I thought it was a fishing hook, when I realized it was a needle, I thought it was bent and almost threw it away. When I went to look at it closer to see how in the world it got bent that way I realized thats the way it was made. I did a google search on curved needles and didnt see one like this. Its made by Organ, size 75/11. Went there but they dont really show what the needles look like. The twin needle was in the tin also, I put it in the photo to get size perspective. Ive never seen a needle like this, so Im assuming its for a type of machine Ive never used. What in the heck is it?
    Could it be used for upholestry (spelling??)

Blog Entries
    you should frame it and put it on the wall in your sewing room................unique

With the flange on either side, my guess it was once a leather needle, but I agree that it looks bent and unuseable now.

I really don't know, but it is strange looking and if you ever find out what it is be sure to let us know.

Blog Entries
    First one is a double needle used with one bobbin to top stitch, I have one with all my machines but haven't the nerve to try it. The second is a blind stitch neddle we used them when I worked in a sewing factory.There are also hand sweing needles that are bent ,used to sew things like buttons on couches and chairs, things you can't get to the back of to push the needle back through.

Ok per the best sewing machine repairman in the world....

"I would imagine it was a needle for a blind hemmer machine that got bent in addition to being curved in the first place."

Blog Entries
    Looks like an upholstry needle. I have never seen a machine one but have seen them as hand sewing on upholstry.

Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!
    wow, wonder what the user hit with that? I've bent and broken needles, but never that bad ~ whomever posted "kept as a reminder" may have hit the needle on the head LOL

We had bent needles in the commercial sewing industry. None looked like yours. The point still faced down.

Blog Entries
    Any machine that will zig zag can use the double needle. You put two spools of thread up and then run them through separate disks on the tension. Then put one thread in each needle. Then sew. You want to be careful not to go to wide on your stitches. It makes very pretty decorations. My singer 401 accepts 2 needles without having to buy the joined needles. I can put any two needles in it and sew away. If one breaks I just get out another one.

I don't know anything about the curved needle - maybe goes to a blind hem machine?

I think it's used in upholstery, made to go into an awl

http://www.decoratorsupplyinc.com/misctools.htm

another site that shows one
    http://www.leathernaturally.com/catalog/SEWING.htm

This is beyond perplexing to my brain!

Blog Entries
    I wondered where that went. It must be the one that I used the wrong stitch with the wrong foot :/

I think it is for a blind stitcher . just because I have been checking one out all afternoon
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltmouse
    My guess it is, indeed, a bent & unusable sewing machine needle. The owner may have saved it for "buying one like this" purposes. (IMHO) :)

that said, I did find this:

http://www.ismacs.net/needle_and_sha...rt-curved.html So, it looks like I am wrong, and there is such a thing as curved sewing machine needle.

...it does sort of mystify me...

The first is a double neddle and can be used on a machine with a wide throat plate to accomidate the needles- be sure to hand crank the wheel to check the needle movement through the plate before sewing.
    The second if it truely is fashioned in that manor is most like for a blind hem machine which use a curved needle. we have gotten several calls of people selling them but I have not purchased or worked with them only know little of them

With it breaking so easily when you picked it up sounds like another vote for a bent and damaged needle. Fragile.
    Robin in TX

I believe that it's a bent needle. They do make curved needles, but as far as I know, they're hand needles not machine needles. I use the curved needles all the time when I tie a quilt.

Yup I agree! It is a bent needle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast