Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Kind of Thread? >

What Kind of Thread?

What Kind of Thread?

Old 08-02-2012, 02:49 PM

Default What Kind of Thread?

What kind of thread do you use for machine embroidery and where do you buy from. Is poly better than rayon? I'm getting a new toy. I thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:19 PM

Rayon has a nice sheen, but is weaker than poly and isn't colorfast with bleach products. It has its uses, but you don't want to embroider something with it that will get lots of wear and washed a lot. I'm using up all my rayon now and only buying poly. I have towels embroidered with rayon that are fine, but for example, you don't want to put rayon on pockets of jeans etc. that will get rubbed frequently.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:23 PM

I only use Madeira polyneon thread, which I get from sewphisticatedstitcher.com. The Janome dealer did not recommend rayon because, while it looks nice, it doesn't wear as well and could melt if ironed with a hot iron.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:06 PM

There are several quality embroidery threads. Maderia is definately up there and I have purchased this also. It is great.
I have also used Sulky, Brother,Marathon, Polystar, just to name a few. Marathon is a good buy and I have never had
any problems with it.
Try a few and see how your machine reacts. Some machines are finicky and it will be trial and error. Good luck.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:24 PM

I bought Robison Anton and Madera also sulky all seem to be good. If you use metallic thread use METALLIC needles or you will go crazy! Ask me how I know???
Old 08-02-2012, 04:57 PM

Palmetto girl: Look into Metro Poly and read the reviews..I researched quite a bit..Also read why you should get polyester and not rayon...It's all so expensive for a nice variety...I have been very happy with the Metro, although does not carry the 'elite' name....They have a site..Metro.com I have the Janome 300E..At first was getting a fair amount of breakage. Blamed the thread...Researched some more, and found that a heavy steel thread holder standing to the backside abour 8 /10 inches, is all I needed..Hardly ever breaks anymore...anyway that's my 2 cents, for what it's worth....berni
Old 08-02-2012, 07:29 PM

what machine did you buy some do not use rayon.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:49 PM
Power Poster

sources for decorative & other specialty threads include:
Superior Threads, Atlanta Thread Company, Sulky, YLI, Thread Arts, Joannes ... there are many more- those are just the ones i can think of at the moment. Many machine dealers also carry their (favorite) brands of embroidery threads- so when you start shopping for your machine check out what the dealers have to offer too & what they recommend
Old 08-03-2012, 07:11 AM

Thank so much to each of you. I knew I could count on my new friends of the Quilt board. To answer Dolphynngyrl, I have an older vilking rose machine, got away from the embriodery use for many years, now I'm having some soft ware put on my computer that will allow me to have access to a whole new world of designs. My dealer only sells sulky rayon for use with these machines. I noticed the poly thread on some sites but knew nothing about using it. I knew my friends on the board had a lot of experience that they would share. I love, love, love the quilt board.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:45 AM

I have used the Coats and Clark Poly Embroidery Thread for years, purchased at Joanns when they have their 50% on thread sales. After ten years have all the colors. like the variegated thread by sulky, for specialty work, their thread makes really beautiful flowers and leaves. I personally think the Isacord thread cones are way too big...especially when in embroidery, the more color variety the better.....Poly thread can be bleached and hold their color rayon can not, so if you are going to to doing anything for babies or children only use poly.