Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What makes you procrastinate? >

What makes you procrastinate?

What makes you procrastinate?

Old 03-24-2013, 02:30 PM

Default What makes you procrastinate?

What part of the quilting process, if any, do you procrastinate doing? The reason I ask? I have a baby quilt with minky as the backing ready to FMQ. I HATE working with minky! So, instead of doing that, I've cleaned my sewing machine, filled a bunch of bobbins, read all the posting on this board, sandwiched another quilt for quilting, re-folded all my miscellaneous pieces of batting (okay, now that's just a desperate attempt at avoidance!), walked the dog, visited the neighbors, and went to Target for iced tea. Now I've decided that the light is wrong in my room to do the FMQ and I'll put it off til tomorrow!
Old 03-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

Sometimes I think I procrastinate the whole process. I agonize over the fabric choices, the pattern, then over how to make the borders interesting. Of course I'm like you I sit reading this board probably more than I should.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:54 PM

The part I procrasinate the most is deciding what FMQ design to use on the top. Once I get started quilting, I am alright. Sometimes I simply start quilting and see what happens! So far, so good!
Old 03-24-2013, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

​I have my Spiderweb top ready to be sandwiched. I should have gotten it ready last week but hopefully I will do it this week.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:59 PM

My favorite parts of quilting are picking the fabrics and pattern then piecing it. My least favorites are sandwiching, quilting and binding. I usually start to procrastinate after the top is completed. I always feel satisfied when the whole thing is completed but I just consider all the steps after the top is done to be drudgery so unless I have a deadline I tend to stall. I have a couple of quilts where I have started the quilting process but have lost interest.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:03 PM

I am not a big procrastinator, I made a decision and go with it. Sometime I do postpone my quilting due to lack of interest for the moment.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:15 PM

Usually when I find myself procrastinating it's because I am afraid to try something I haven't done before. I have working on allowing myself to be afraid, but to try whatever it is I am avoiding. And usually the task is easier than I thought and I worried for nothing. Like you, when I find myself doing little chores and odds and ends, I now ask myself why am I avoiding this task. I feel the fear, but try the task anyway.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:22 PM

Some times I procrastinate when I have doubts that I can do the project well that I want to do. Usually I get brave and then just begin it and the next thing I know it is finished!!
Old 03-24-2013, 03:59 PM

I love the piecing and making the binding, but making the sandwich and doing the actual quilting is tedious. I just want to be done!
Old 03-24-2013, 04:32 PM

I have FOF Fear of Failure. I fret that the result will be not up to my standard. I have several tops waiting to be quilted, waiting for me to get the courage to practice FMG,