Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sergers >

sergers

sergers

Old 03-25-2013, 04:41 AM

Question sergers

Hi, does anybody out there use a serger??? I have never used one.. What would be a good starter serger, one that won't scare me away?? I have watched tutorials on them and they look fun to use... Any suggestions??
Thanks Bellmae
Old 03-25-2013, 04:51 AM

I love my serger! I use it all the time for totes and purses and clothing for my kiddos. Mine came from Walmart...the Singer serger. It serves my purposes well as I'm more of a quilter than anything else, but I do find a serger handy to have. It comes with video instructions on how to thread it...and that's really the only thing complicated about it.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:51 AM

Baby Lock for sure with the jet air threading. I have had 2 Berninas previously and they took me longer to thread than to sew. I have the BL Imagine with automatic tension controlled and the air threading
Old 03-25-2013, 05:07 AM
Power Poster

i have an older one... love it for general sewing. but i sometimes serge the edges of my quilt before adding the binding. the threading can be annoying, but mine has the chart on the flip down lid. once you get it threaded and need to change colors, you can just tie the next color on and pull it through..,. the knot usually doesn't go through the needle, though.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

We have recently discussed sergers if you use the search function you will get even more responses. I have the Brother 1034D and like it. Threading isn't a problem if I tie the new thread to the old one and pull it through. Yes, the Babylock air threaded one is great but not everyone can or wants to spend that much money on a serger. I do use mine, not necessarily for quilting, but have made many pajama pants and some totes. I've only had it about a year.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:21 AM

Sergers are GREAT machines....unfortunately most of us who have them truly do not use them to their potential. Reason, In my opinion.....threading! Lol! My recommendation is when looking at sergers make threading them one of the things you do before you purchase. Make sure you are comfortable with threading or you feel it is relatively easy.

I tend to use mine if I am making a lot of something....1,000 dog booties for an ididadrod dog sled team, 30 coin purses for a baby shower, decorative edging on cloth napkins......etc. BUT.... My goal this year is to do some decorative serging on scarfs, flags etc. I am referencing Nancys Notions, you tube Etc. for serger projects
Old 03-25-2013, 05:22 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

I have a Juki Pearline that I got off of Craigslist, that I love. Even the threading, while it can be challenging, isn't that big of a deal. One of the things that I did before I bought this used one was that I called a dealer, told them what I was going to go look at, and they told me what to look for, what to try before I bought it, and what questions to ask. It was so helpful! There also a couple of great setting books that you can get from Amazon fairly in expensively that you might want to look at...have fun!
Old 03-25-2013, 05:24 AM

Babylock is the winner. I had a Singer for years and used it very little because it was too hard to thread and adjust the tension. I bought a Babylock Evolution and use it all the time. The Imagine gets rave reviews too and it is a reasonable price. I bound a little quilt with the wave stitch and really like it. I'm going to do that on lap quilts a lot, I think. I'll see if I can attach a picture.[ATTACH=CONFIG]404238[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 03-25-2013, 05:25 AM

Wow, I've got to learn to resize pics!
Old 03-25-2013, 05:33 AM

I've got a serger (inherited) that I've never used. Do have the video... to be honest, that machine scares me big time.

Quiltngolfer... no need to resize. That just makes it easier for us to see the detail.