Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What "old" trick have you rediscovered >

What "old" trick have you rediscovered

What "old" trick have you rediscovered

Old 05-29-2014, 09:57 AM

Default What "old" trick have you rediscovered

I had heard about using a sliver of soap to mark fabric, but never tried it. Yesterday, I had a black tshirt that I needed to put something on and a sliver of soap handy, so I tried it. It was terrific! And the soap just washes out.

Are there any old tricks that you have "rediscovered"?
Old 05-29-2014, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

I have been quilting for a very long time but I can't think of anything old that isn't well known....SORRY
Old 05-30-2014, 04:22 AM

Today I saw a beautiful example of turned edge machine applique. I had seen this technique years ago but had forgotten it. I will try to remember it for the future. In case you want a link for it: http://www.modabakeshop.com/2013/09/...e-machine.html
Old 05-30-2014, 05:40 AM

Using wash away tape to help finish binding!

You sort of do binding the traditional way, but when it comes time to join the two binding pieces together, you cut the angles first (leaving seam allowance), fold the seam allowance down on the one that'll be on top and stick a line of wash-away tape (I use Wonder tape) to the inside of the top piece's seam allowance to serve as basting. Then fold the binding down on the quilt and stick the top piece down to the other piece where it belongs, then you can flip it open away from the quilt and do a quick seam across the angled joint without anything moving on you. Then trim as needed, fold it back onto the quilt and finish as usual. Makes my binding finish up perfectly; no having to re-sew because it somehow got too tight or too loose because you place the seam while the binding is "on" the quilt. (I'm probably explaining this terribly...)

I learned this from a tutorial somewhere, when I first started quilting and disdained it because it seemed like a "cheat" and I wanted to learn how to quilt "correctly". Then saw it again recently in a class and decided I was being a snob and that cheats are good! LOL
Old 05-30-2014, 07:57 PM

When threading a needle for hand sewing, if the thread doesn't go through the eye easily, turn the needle around and thread from the other way. The eye of the needle is made with a punch type thing and sometimes the needle threads more easily if you thread it in the same direction as the punch thing (which you can't see).
Old 05-31-2014, 03:55 AM
Power Poster

I know it sounds weird, but a Vietnamese friend of mine told me if a needle is hard to thread or actually anytime you are threading a needle, wet the eye if the needle first. (and if really works)
Old 05-31-2014, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
I know it sounds weird, but a Vietnamese friend of mine told me if a needle is hard to thread or actually anytime you are threading a needle, wet the eye if the needle first. (and if really works)
I have trouble seeing the eye sometime, and this tip was a real life changer. I even dampen the tip of my finger and run it over the sewing machine needle (I have an older machine) and it works for that as well. Great tip!
Old 05-31-2014, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
Today I saw a beautiful example of turned edge machine applique. I had seen this technique years ago but had forgotten it. I will try to remember it for the future. In case you want a link for it: http://www.modabakeshop.com/2013/09/...e-machine.html
Through the years, I've learned two different variations of this technique (which, BTW, is my favorite for applique). One variation is to use the fusible lightweight or featherweight stabilizer. When placing the pieces of stabilizer and fabric together, have the fusible dot side facing the right side of the fabric. DO NOT APPLY HEAT. Stitch as in the directions then turn to the right side. The fusible side of the stabilizer will be on the back of the fabric, ready to fuse into place. Then the topstitching can be done. The other variation is to use water soluble thread. Once the piece is turned to the right side, press with a DRY iron. Once the edges have been well set, spritz the seam and press. When dry the thread will have been dissolved and the stabilizer will come off. The seam will be turn under and ready to applique.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:37 AM

Some people will gasp when they read this, but I read recently about using very thin straight pins in piecing and sewing right over them. I always did this for years with my old trusty White Rotary sewing machine and then with my Singers. I have a very expensive Bernina and I was told to never ever do this. But when I read about it, I decided to buy some very thin pins and try it. I am very careful and it works for me.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
Some people will gasp when they read this, but I read recently about using very thin straight pins in piecing and sewing right over them. I always did this for years with my old trusty White Rotary sewing machine and then with my Singers. I have a very expensive Bernina and I was told to never ever do this. But when I read about it, I decided to buy some very thin pins and try it. I am very careful and it works for me.
I use to sew over pins all the time and never once hit one. I'm not gonna try it on my baby now, tho.