Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What should I buy? Bernina or Pfaff? >

What should I buy? Bernina or Pfaff?

What should I buy? Bernina or Pfaff?

Old 04-11-2016, 06:08 PM

Default What should I buy? Bernina or Pfaff?

I am looking at getting a new machine. My 15 year old Pfaff tiptronic 2030 has been in the shop too many times now with timing issues. I do a lot of quilting patchwork and also McKenna Ryan applique pieces and just think maybe it's time for an upgrade. I have my own longarm so I don't think I need a stitch regulator and I don't need embroidery features but a few stitches like blanket, feather, and satin would be my "go-to" stitches. I do want a good free motion foot for the applique work which sometimes has multiple layers of fabric. I am looking at a Bernina 350PE or a Pfaff expressions3.5 machine. I like the built-in dual feed system on the Pfaff. The walking foot attachment on the Bernina seems cumbersome to take on and off plus the wide foot on it makes me wonder how to keep a even 1/4 inch seam. I do like the access though to the hook and race area on the Bernina for cleaning lint or thread pieces. The new Pfaff has a drop-in top loading bobbin which I am unfamiliar with. I see most of the newer machines have this. What do you think? Pfaff or Bernina?
Old 04-11-2016, 06:53 PM

I bought the Brother Dreamaker and really love it. I traded in an older Viking and am so glad I did.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:12 PM

I have a Janome 6500 series! I really love this machine! I know that there are newer versions out there so look into a janome before spending the extra money for a Bernina!
Old 04-11-2016, 08:20 PM

I test drove both & went with the Bernina 350PE. The feet are very easy to get on/off and Bernina's precision, in my opinion & experience, is unmatched. In addition to the parts that came with the machine, I bought a $19 Patchwork Seam Guide. It is a metal piece that easily screws into the machine bed to make a straight edge upon which my fabric runs so I keep a perfectly consistent seam. I like it so much better than the 1/4" feet with a build in guide. I can set it anywhere from 1/4-7/8" so it's perfect for standard quilting seams, 1/2" flannel seams & even 3/8" sewing seams for my home dec hobby.

It's not a huge deal to switch to the walking foot & honestly, when I tried putting a quilt sandwich through the regular foot with dual feed, it had issues & I had to add walking foot anyways so for me that wasn't as much of a "bonus" as I had assumed prior to test drive. I really, really loved the knee lift on the Bernina & that was a major factor in my decision as it both saves time & helps with accuracy.

Other than cost of Bernina parts, I am thrilled with my machine... but that's my experience based on how I sew & quilt. I would really recommend taking them both for a test drive with your fabric & batting to see what you prefer. The other benefit of the Pfaff is that it's harp is larger. If you plan to SID something larger than a Twin, the 5.5" harp on the Bernina might pose a problem for you depending on your batting.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:43 PM

Have you looked at the Juki machines? I have a bernina 440 nq and am saving up for a pfaff, not sure which one.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:05 AM
Power Poster

I have a Pfaff Quilt Expressions 4.0 and love it. Dual feed, drop-in bobbin, auto cut, etc. Besides you are already filmilair with a Pfaff.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:06 AM

After having my Pfaff Tiptronic, I will never again piece without both top and bottom feed dogs. My Pfaff is now my backup machine, since I bought a Babylock Serenade, which also has both top and bottom feed dogs. Now a few other brands of machines besides Pfaff have that awesome feature.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:02 AM

Both brands make excellent machines. I myself am a Pfaff fan. I bought my first(a 2058) many moons ago and fell in love with the IDT. A few years later, I bought a 2170 which also has an embroidery unit. I just recently purchased a Creative 2.0 used - it has the larger harp.

All that being said - I am a great fan for lists. Make a list of which features fall into the must have category for you. Identify and try out, if you can, those features on machines of both brands that fill that list. Sometimes while machines can do the same thing, one machine might be easier or more intuitive. Then look at price.

I am assuming that you are looking at new machines at dealers. Please remember that ALL sewing machine prices are negotiable. I used to sell Viking/Husqvarna sewing machines and was amazed at the "wiggle room" in the listed price. If they will not come down on the price - then ask what else would they be willing to add into the package that would make the deal more attractive to you. If you are only quilting than an acrylic table might be of use, if you are embroidering - than maybe designs? Do not hesitate to negotiate - good luck with your quest
Old 04-12-2016, 06:10 AM

Love my Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0!
Have had it for three years, millions of stitches, and no problems at all.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:12 AM

I recently purchased Pfaff Performance 5.0 and I'm loving it and I also picked up the Quilt Ambition 2.0 for a friend when I told her I was picking up a new machine and she is loving hers. The dealer was awesome I told them about a special the Viking store was having for leap year and he matched it. So I feel like I got a steal plus I got a $200 rebate.