Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What should I do?? >

What should I do??

What should I do??

Old 12-02-2012, 03:44 PM

Default What should I do??

I have 4 sewing machines...a 201 Singer, a 730 Record Bernina, a Janome Classmate, and a Pfaff Ambition Essential. I am relly thinking about selling the Pfaff. I just got it 2 months ago, but I just haven't bonded with it like I hoped. I would end up taking about a $200 loss on it but at least I could recoup some of the money I spent. Any suggestions???
Old 12-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Power Poster

Well, if you return it, you can look at it like you just rented it for 2 months...
Why did you buy it in the first place: What specific functions did it have that your other machines didn't?
Old 12-02-2012, 07:18 PM

Well, I got it because of all the decorative and quilting stitches. It has 126 stitches and alphabet letters. I can do a 1/4" seam a lot easier, but the stitches aren't any better than the other machines. My hubby thinks I should keep it, I just don't know what I'm going to do with 4 machines. He wasn't too thrilled when the 4th one came in and keeps giving me grief for it. :/
Old 12-02-2012, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by NewbieToQuilting View Post
I have 4 sewing machines...a 201 Singer, a 730 Record Bernina, a Janome Classmate, and a Pfaff Ambition Essential. I am relly thinking about selling the Pfaff. I just got it 2 months ago, but I just haven't bonded with it like I hoped. I would end up taking about a $200 loss on it but at least I could recoup some of the money I spent. Any suggestions???

Never get rid of a sewing machine unless it is shaking you out of bed in the middle of the night.

Somewhere along the line, you'll wish you had it handy.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:37 PM

If you don't use it.. sell it and move on!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:52 PM

I would sell it only if it was your decision and not your hubby's, is him not liking it part of the reason I wonder. Foolish men don't they know that a happy wife= happy husband. Are you maybe intimidated by the machines and just need classes to familiarize yourself with it. Pfaffs are great machines but I have heard that they aren't the most user friendly
Old 12-02-2012, 09:05 PM

Love my Pfaff 2056. The IDT walking foot is so nice. I don't think 4 is too many
Old 12-02-2012, 09:23 PM

Can the other 3 do what the Pfaff does? There must be a special reason you bought it or was it an impulse buy? Did you really have the money to buy it or did it hurt your budget?
I have nine machines, one of which is a Husqvarna Viking Designer 1. The D1 can do so much more that the other machines and so much easier to use but it is computerize and is smarter than me. I have taken a few classes to learn to use it and not be intimidated by it. I was so afraid I would break it, that I only used it about 10 hours the first year I had it! But now I am using it all the time and had to use the older machines when the D1 needed servicing. They just do not hold a candle to the D1. Please rethink why you wanted the new Pfaff. Write down it's pros and cons from the other machines and see if the difficulty in using it is holding you back. My husband makes me feel guilty when buying something. He always asks me why did you buy that? What are you going to use that for? Why do you want/need another machine? But he buys new clothes, shoes, belts, etc. whenever he wants and doesn't give me reasons for doing so. But even using my own money, he always wants to know why and it's nots costing him anything. Now, I just tell him, "Just because I wanted it". Guilt can weigh heavy on us. Try to weigh why you got it, do you really like it, do you not like it, etc. Can you not afford it, etc?
Giving it up just because he wants you to may bother you in the long run... I'm sure you will make the right decision.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:58 AM

I had 4 machines...all great except for the Brother. I sold them all and got a new Bernina. 3 of the machines I sold were Berninas. Have not been sorry...One machine that does everything..so much less 'stuff'!
Old 12-03-2012, 06:26 AM

I have 4 machines also. Like quiltoey I have a Viking D1 that does lots of things like I believe your Pfaff does and once you take the time to "bond" you will love it. I use the other Vikings and my beloved Featherweight for classes and piecing but when it comes for those great "other stitches and free motion quilting and bindings that need a walking foot" the fancy machine is perfect. If you husband doesn't want to sell it, find the time to experiment and bond and I'm sure you will end up loving it.