Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what started your quilting obsession >

what started your quilting obsession

what started your quilting obsession

Old 05-09-2011, 02:55 AM

I was wondering how people became addicted to quilting.Myself I was having a child and decided to make a quilt it was simple a panel .My family went out one day and we went to studio where a woman was making a huge wonderful quilt and I said to my dad thats a quilt like I was making (meaning putting the layers together)he then told me that mine was not like this this was artwork he didnt mean it bad but it inspired me to prove to him I can also do this.He loves every quilt I make and I have been quilting for 22 years
Old 05-09-2011, 03:03 AM

It started out with wanting a good embroidery machine...Bought the Husqvarna SE which is a combo emb/sewing and after a yr of doing embroidery and turning them into lap and baby quilts...the obsession began starting in 2007
Old 05-09-2011, 03:38 AM
Power Poster

I learned to sew when my oldest was born. I have no idea why b/c I never sewed before that! Then I started making crafty type things. Then a friend asked me if I wanted to sign up for a quilt class with her and I did. I loved it and haven't stopped!!
Old 05-09-2011, 04:01 AM
dd

It's a family tradition. Grandmothers, mother, sister, everyones sews. Made a "quilt" for my daughter when she was born in 1984 and another for my son in 1988. The first one I counted cross stitched baby animals and used them every other block. Then tied ribbons into bows and sewed them onto the corners to quilt it. My sons was a pre-printed panel of a circus and I just quilted around the designs. Didn't learn to quilt until about 1990. Took a class at the high school. She taught hand piecing and quilting. I have since taught that same thing to Girl Scout leaders in this area.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:03 AM

My sister got me into quilting when I retired from teaching. Let say she was an enabler.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:09 AM

Made my first quilt (if you want to call it that) when expecting my first daughter 32 years ago... didn't know a thing about "how" but know that it wasn't "right"... I sewed a piece of cotton to a coordinated piece of quilted fabric.. did fancy stitches around the edge... tada... finished quilt... My next quilt was a hexagonal wreath... 1" pieces appliquéd... yet to finish... still didn't know what I was doing...have learned since to starch starch starch.. and to use the paper inserts to press the seams down and while stitching together then pull the paper out...Now where did I put that little tin box with the 360 already cut pieces????
Old 05-09-2011, 04:12 AM

I wanted to make my daughter a Christmas tree skirt and could not figure out exactly how to put it together. Muddled through that then when youngest daughter was having her baby decided to take a beginner quilt class. He will be 15 in September and I'm still quilting. Have to say that sampler quilt was a UFO for a long time. He uses it now for a couch quilt.

mltquilt
Old 05-09-2011, 04:23 AM

I have always sewed most of my adult life for myself and the kids. Oddly enough my grown daughter who never sewed on a button got me started quilting! She had bought a used machine and taken a class and was turning out Christmas potholders or trivets as gifts when I visited. Then I expanded to larger quilts and am mostly self taught using this board and links to tutorials as guides. DD is too busy with kiddos, running half marathons, and at the moment moving, but she will get back to quilting and scrapbooking when things slow down. I didn't really have time until I retired. Now it is my passion but I have much yet to learn.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:24 AM

my DH's Aunt Joann gave me a christmas table runner. Then visiting her home in Houghton Lake, MI she had her quilting blocks all over the dining room table and that made is worse. Husband begged me not to start quilting so I held off for a couple of years, then finally made some placemats as I was waiting to hear about a job position I had interview for. Figuring if I started something big I would get it. Well 6 sets of placemats later I didn't get the job and DH said you could have made a quilt for the bed. I layed out all the placemats and he was right. So then I started on large quilts and haven't stopped. That was almost 3 yrs ago and I have done 38 or so quilts.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:30 AM

My oldest daughter received two hand made quilts as wedding gifts and two years later she came to me wanting another. She said that if Grandmom (my mother) and my best friend could make quilts I should do the same. SO..... that began my quilting obession. And now over 60 quilts finished and about 20 waiting/wanting to be finished I'm going strong. Tonight I have a "Quilt for our Hero's" meeting and hopefully can finish up up the the blocks of a Stack 'n Whack that I started last week and get it basted. Quilting has made my life so much better. LOVE MY QUILTING!!!