Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What type of chair do you use at your machine?

What type of chair do you use at your machine?

Are there good ergonomic chairs out there to use at your machine? I've been using your typical black office chair on rollers but wondering if there is something better out there. Have been experiencing neck and back pain for the last several months and I think my chair and is making it worse. Any suggestions?
    Sandra B

I use just a wooden chair that goes to the dining room table. I don't have too much problem with back pain, but I make sure I'm sitting as close as I can and make sure I sit with my back supported by the chair. Maybe a cushion or small pillow might help.

When I was working I sat at an office chair long periods. They aren't as comfortable as they are made out to be.

I found out it's not necessarily your chair...make sure you are seated at the correct height, I have spinal arthritis and when I got that adjusted correctly it helped tremendously...wish I could remember the name of the site where I found the info.....

Power Poster
    I have an height adjustable office chair wiuth one of the $ store messh back insets in it. My back pain was caused by slouching to see to sew. I bought the magnifying lenses for my Bernina and that helped. I posted a picture last week title Bernina Lens that show the view through it.

It is not a one size fits all thing with a chair. It depends on how your body is made that decides the chair that best fits you. I went to a large office supply store and set in all the ones that would go with sewing. I finally found mine at Sam's Club. it is a fact that height matters a lot so find one that you can raise and lower. I have RA. and my spine is a mess so I have to be very careful. Someone gave me the wonderful advice on here, to out door stops in the back of my machine to raise it forward. That has taken a lot of stress from my back and I can sew longer.

Blog Entries
    I use an office chair that is the "bungie cord" chair. It gives great support and my legs & back no longer hurt
    Patski
    always learning

just an office chair, its probably the height of your chair and you are not sitting close enough, you know how common this is, i just watched a video on it. if i find it i'll post it
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D

I have my grandmother's old sewing chair - one with the removable seat for storage. I agree that as long as you are at the correct height from the floor, feet on the floor and back up against the back of the chair, what kind it is, specifically, is rather immaterial. I do have back issues but not when using this chair for even long periods of time.

Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D

Thank you Dolphyngyrl great video!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast