Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What type of frame do you use with your home sewing machine? >

What type of frame do you use with your home sewing machine?

What type of frame do you use with your home sewing machine?

Old 12-20-2010, 03:28 AM

My arms get so tired trying to quilt a full-size quilt on my home sewing machine even though I have discovered that using the quilting gloves helps. I noticed in one photo on a blog that a lady was using a three rail system with her home machine, possibly the John Flynn system? I've never heard from anyone who owns this system. If you own one, or one similar, do you like it? What do you not like about it? Or, what do you use? I'd love to buy or make something and would love your input!
Old 12-20-2010, 06:31 AM

I have the original Grace frame with a juki sewing machine. Have had it a long time. Recently found out they are now making machines to fit these frames with more than 9" space to quilt...
Old 12-20-2010, 01:23 PM
Power Poster

I find it much easier to quilt standing up -- easier on my shoulders and back, so I can quilt for much longer periods of time. To do this, I place my sewing machine on top of my cutting table (which is at about belly button level) and surround the machine with a styrofoam table my dh made.

Directions for the table are here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14govA4pIM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAS25...eature=channel

For me, at least, I don't think a frame for my domestic sewing machine would help as much as this setup does. I can see how a frame for a midarm or longarm would help, though!
Old 12-20-2010, 01:27 PM

I have a Little Gracie II. I bought the upgraded carriage and the Juki TL98Q to use on it. With the original wooden carriage this frame can be used with any home sewing machine, although at least a 6" throat is recommended.

I was never brave enough to attempt to quilt without the frames.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Banned

I would definitely recommend checking out Grace frames. I have a Little Gracie II, and it's perfect for what I need.

If you're on a budget, I highly recommend keeping an eye on Craigslist -- in my area, seems like there's someone selling a quilting frame (often with the machine, but not always) at least once a month...
Old 12-21-2010, 12:30 AM

I was able to purchase the gracie II frame from Kens sewing and they have a 90 day lay away program which was a huge help for me I love my machine!! I have the Juki 98q on it
Old 12-21-2010, 02:19 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Thanks for starting this thread. I've been considering a British made frame similar to the Little Gracie to use with my Janome 6600. I tried one at a show and really liked it. My only concern is that it will restrict my quilting deigns as I will only be able to quilt in strips. Plus as the quilt fills the throat - the 6600 has 9" - this will only get worse. I'd be interested to hear ppl's thoughts on this...
Old 12-21-2010, 04:22 AM

There are several frames to choose from out there. I do suggest to not do what I did - which was to buy the frame new... figure out that a home sewing machine will not work well at all for anything on the frame ... then figure out .. man! I could have gotten one on Craigslist with the machine at a huge discount! I did end up buying a Voyager used - hated the weight of it and sold it. Then I bought a 15" Bailey after reading the boards and hearing complaints about the machines people bought.

I guess the point of the story is to not rush it like I did - wait, patiently... Join the different yahoogroups for the home quilting machines and check your Craigslist in your area and areas you are willing to travel to. You will save a lot of money getting a complete system used.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:12 AM

Thank you for all of the ideas! I've narrowed my decision down to two machines simply due to space. I would want the ability to quilt queen and king size quilts so I went over to the new place I'm moving to next week and measured. The length of the sewing room will not accomodate a traditional long arm setup so I'm down to two choices. One lady said she has the Tin Lizzie with the 'sit-down' table. I found it and then remembered the George with a sit-down table. The Tin Lizzie has an open arm space of 18" x 8" and a table measuring 48" x 48". The George has an open arm space of 20" x 8" and a table measuring 40" x 77". So now, I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with The George? The price is double and I'm wondering if the Tin Lizzie is just as good for half the price? I would love to hear from anyone who has had experience with either one.

Tin Lizzie $3995 at Allbrands.com
[ATTACH=CONFIG]146418[/ATTACH]

The George $7900 at APQS.com
[ATTACH=CONFIG]146419[/ATTACH]

Another view of The George
[ATTACH=CONFIG]146420[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-146413.jpe   attachment-146414.jpe   attachment-146415.jpe  
Old 12-21-2010, 07:06 AM

I got a Viking Sapphire 830, great deal, awhile back, then, almost a year ago, I was about to get a Grace Mini Pinn frame, & they seem to be playing very well together, so am very happy with my setup. We have a small house, so we set my frame up in crib size. I don't make too many bed quilts, so this size is great for me, & if I want to do bigger, I can do it in sections, then just sew them together. Works so much better than just fighting with a big quilt on a machine alone! In case you are wondering, I got my machine for a thousand & the frame for five, so I think found two great deals too. You don't have to spend a fortune these days, in order to machine quilt on a frame setup like this, & it's so much fun, not to mention, a whole lot faster too!...