Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone here use a commercial type sewing machine? >

Does anyone here use a commercial type sewing machine?

Does anyone here use a commercial type sewing machine?

Old 11-26-2011, 11:04 AM

Default Does anyone here use a commercial type sewing machine?

I have a chance to get an OLD commercial type sewing machine. I was wondering if anyone uses one to do quilting?
Old 11-26-2011, 11:22 AM

I'm gonna have to follow this, because I'm drooling over them now. They look perfect and heavy-duty and I'm thinking "why not?". If I can sell my quilting frame, I'm getting an old industrial Brother, unless I find out why I shouldn't!! (and if you get it and don't like it, send it down to me!)
Old 11-26-2011, 11:42 AM

I don't know, but I do know that I see a lot of them listed on Craig's List.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:53 AM

Industrial machines are awesome, but they tend to be straight stitch only. And they aren't portable at all. So, if you don't mind having a straight stitch only machine that will never go anywhere other than your home, then they'll last forever.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Industrial machines are awesome, but they tend to be straight stitch only. And they aren't portable at all. So, if you don't mind having a straight stitch only machine that will never go anywhere other than your home, then they'll last forever.
and they generally sit in an oil bath.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:43 PM

I have and use a Pfaff 138-6/21. It is a straight stitch and zigzag industrial and does not use an oil pan. It uses proprietary feet which are as scarce as hens teeth. I only have the multipurpose foot right now, but I found a straight stitch foot on Ebay that will soon be mine. It is the quietest machine I have. When it is running - even with the 1/3 horse power clutch motor - all I hear is a little tick, tick, tick. I can't hear the motor running if I am in another room. I left it on one evening when I went to the kitchen to fix dinner. 2 hours later I came back in the room to find it still running and shut it off.

I also have and use a Singer 31-15. It is straight stitch only, and it doesn't use an oil pan. It uses regular high shank industrial feet so the possibilities are endless for feet, it is not as quiet as the Pfaff when the motor is engaged, but it runs a tad faster at full out speed. I have it set up for FMQ. I removed the feed dogs and bought a needle plate with only a hole in it for the needle. I don't get to practice my FMQ much since the Singer and the Pfaff are the same size. Because of that, they share the same industrial table and the Pfaff tends to be in the table more because of the type sewing I do - other than quilting.

I would love to get my hands on a Juki with a walking foot. One of these days.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:26 PM

don't forget, the original quilting and embroidery on home machines was done on normal machines with the feed dogs down and the sewing foot removed (presser bar must be down)... you can go any direction once the feed dogs are down (many older machines actually have a cover for the feed dogs rather than lowering, but they work the same)... you will be able to FMQ just fine.... and at a really fast speed...
Old 11-26-2011, 01:58 PM

Don't let an older machine with an oil pan scare you away from it. If you are using it in fast paced production work then you would need the oil pan. For home sewing and doing FMQ, regular oiling where metal moves against metal will be fine. This advice is from the OSMG who sold me my industrial machines.

If you get an industrial and you are cleaning it up - unless it has been serviced by a industrial machine reseller they are really dirty - don't mistake oil wicks for lint. If you really have to tug on it to get it out and it is near an oil port leave it. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:09 PM

Smile Does anyone here use a commercial type sewing machine?

Thank You for the advice. Y'all are awsome! MM There is a commercial juki right down the road for sale. It was out of my price range. There seems to be a lot of commercial sewing machines around.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:02 AM

They are the best if you get one in working order. They sew very easily through thick layers of fabric - less shoulder ache and nice, even stitches.