Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What chair do you use at your sewing machine?

I have a regular office chair with wheels that I use at my sewing machine. It allows me to scoot back and forth across my long sewing table.

However, the chair is kind of uncomfortable, and I'm thinking of getting a new chair.

What kind of chair do you have? Do you have a recommendation for a specific brand or kind of chair? What works for you?

Thanks for your advice!

Look for an office chair that has lumbar support...

I have an office chair with lumbar support, on casters, high back with lots of extra squishie in the cushion can sew for hrs with no problems (with body only, sewing is another topic)

i use a drafting chair.

it allows me to lower it for piecing at my sewing table and to raise it to frame quilting height.

this way i can sit at my quilting frame for all the detailing work.

An extra kitchen chair lol, I would love to have a rolling chair though.

Blog Entries
    office chair with lumbar support on wheels

Me too. Go to an office supply store and try out a few. I have arms on mine but some prefer without arms Some people like softer seats, some harder, find one that seems to fit you and is comfortable.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    office chair with lumbar support on wheels

I have an office chair I picked up for $10 at a resale shop. I has a seat height adjustment and a back adjustment, so I can get it to set just right for my back to be comfortable. I find I have to adjust it a couple times when I'm sewing as my back starts to squawk.

I have a big office chair upstairs with all the bells and whistles that I thought I really loved. Since I am having to stay downstairs for awhile..been using an oversized hi-back parsons type chair with slight arms and very firm thick padded back and seat. It is going upstairs with me when I can navigate the stairs again. I put casters on because it is so comfortable.

Rolling office chair, height adjustment, lumbar support, no arms. Love it!

Blog Entries
    I bought a used sewing chair at the thrift shop for $25. The wooden kind with padded back and seat that lifts off for storage. I've seen them online for $250 so I got a pretty good deal. That's where I got my sewing table too, I think I paid $40 for it. The chair is very comfortable.

I have an old chrome kitchen chair that has the S-frame. It really helps keep my back and neck from getting strained by forcing me to sit correctly. My son used to use it to sneak out of the house, but it has a new use now, and it is chained to my sewing table.

I use a kitchen chair because I sew at the kitchen table. I have tried to use our computer chair before and I don't like it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GGinMcKinney
    Rolling office chair, height adjustment, lumbar support, no arms. Love it!
    Same plus one of those wire back things I bought at a quilt show. It really helps my back.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
    That's what I have too.

My chair is an old wooden, high back dining room chair. I don't even remember where I got it from. There are no permanent cushions anywhere, not even the seat. I use a home-made lumbar support that sort of looks like a small version of a bolster pillow that has a weighted "tail" that gets thrown over the back of the chair. The tail is weighted with lead sinkers procured from someone's tackle box. Shhhh! This keeps the "pillow" in place while I'm sewing, and it makes a terrific travel pillow as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
    Yes, that's the one i use :lol:

I have a really nice office type chair that my husband got when he hurt his back. It's from the Relax Your Back specialty store. It has all the bells and whistles. He used it at work for quite awhile, but got annoyed when he started having to hunt it down every day. A gal there decided she liked it better. She knew it was his, and why he had a good chair, but she didn't care. So he brought it home to me.

I love it, and use it all day long most every day. It is my computer chair and my sewing chair.

I use an office chair and it is comfortable,even with long periods at the machine. However, it doesn't raise up high enough for quilting. I know that some chair go up higher as I have used them at retreats. So, if you choose an office chair, make sure the height adjustment range works for your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
    I use a kitchen chair because I sew at the kitchen table. I have tried to use our computer chair before and I don't like it!
    Me too. I haven't tried a computer chair, I tend to lean forward when I'm sewing :? (bad posture, really need to work on that) so I don't think it matters what I sit on.

My computer chair with lower lumbar support. Unfortunately, I find myself leaning forward lots of times; so defeats the purpose of the chair.

I bought one with lumbar support from stales, it is great I do not remember the brand right now, if you are interested please pm me and I will respond once I get home.

Blog Entries
    i got a office chair but i use a kitchen chair cause my sewing machine on my table

I don't have a chair.

I took some classes with Harriet Hargrave and she started one class talking about ergonomics. She told us what chair she uses. I had already had one back surgery and was conscious of the need for a good sewing environment. [Remember she sewing machine quilts all her quilts.] Well, her chair was costly and luckily didn't fit me. So I saw what the personnel at the office furniture store were using: a swopper. I talked them into letting me try it out over a weekend, went in with it Monday, and bought a new one. It is like sitting on a stable balance ball. It has no wheels. I have it on a throw rug. I love it.

ali

Same my husband got for me don't sit back too often but try for good posture when at the machine.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast