Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kind of sewing chair do you use? >

What kind of sewing chair do you use?

What kind of sewing chair do you use?

Old 09-03-2011, 09:52 AM

I am beginning a search for the "perfect" sewing chair for me. I am now using a good secretary chair, but the older I get the more uncomfortable it becomes. I was wondering if anyone has bought a custom chair that was made and measured for them...and if so, do they like it? Was it worth the price?

Please give me your honest opinion. Thank you in advance.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:59 AM

Oh man need to see this using dr chairs. Can't sit for more than 30 min at a time!!!
Old 09-03-2011, 10:02 AM

I got a higher backed, well contoured, and Padded chair that some of the quilting shops are selling. I have a badly damaged back and no chair allowed me to sit for more than a few minutes to sew until I got this chair. Expensive-yes but worth every penny. They periodcially run specials at some quilt shops.
No it's not custom, but it might be an option.
NOTE: mine has a higher back, they sell some with shorter backs but that wouldn't have been as good for my back. Also if you find a chair you think is comphy, don't just sit in it for five minutes not sewing. Use a machine at a store or take your own, sit in that chair and sew for 30 minutes or longer just to be sure that chair really remains comphy for you (as if you were home sewing). Also my chair raises and lowers really easily-huge plus.

Good luck,
Kat
Old 09-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I have a computer chair with adjustable height and swivels. I paid $5 for it at a thrift shop. It is so comfortable, I catch my kids sitting in it from time to time.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:46 AM

I got a big bosses chair from an office supply company and removed the left arm rest... It has a high back and is well padded and adjustable. It was not that expensive but well worth it. I do not know how long I have had it but I think going on 6 years. I had to find a chair I could sit in for long periods.. I have my computer by my machine so work on the computer from the same chair.. (lap top)
Old 09-03-2011, 06:11 PM

I don't even have a chair.

I had tried a Hermann-Miller Aeron chair ... like Harriet Hargrave uses but it didn't fit my body. While at the office furniture store I saw what their people used: a Swopper. It is adjustable and like sewing on a balance ball. It keeps me in good posture. I put a throw rug under it to protect the floor as it doesn't have rolling wheels. You can see it on www.sit4less it was well worth the price. I think I've had it over 10 years now. When my friends come to sew with me they love to use it too.

ali
Old 09-03-2011, 06:13 PM

I use a executive computer chair but I would like a saddle chair.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:16 PM

I have had a couple of different chairs but I keep going back to a wood computer chair that I bought 20 years ago. It fits my bum the best.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:40 AM

I have a padded folding chair since space has been very limited for me in my current craft room. I put a very soft seat cushion on it and I'm relatively happy with it.
I think it's all what you get used to. We're moving over Christmas and I'll be getting a much much MUCH larger craft room but I doubt that I'll change my chair now that I'm used to it.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:43 AM

I had crappy stuff for a long time. I recently bought a Horn Sewing chair from Ken's Sewing online. I believe it is an older model and I paid $100. They did not advertise it was a Horn.

LOVE it. I took care of someone dog while they were away and used the money for this. WELL worth it.