Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What type of Sewing Machine have I bought? >

What type of Sewing Machine have I bought?

What type of Sewing Machine have I bought?

Old 07-27-2011, 05:39 PM

I didn't think I was a collector of things old. I do have a Singer treadle machine that has been converted to electricity that belonged to my MIL but have never been that interested in the posts on this board. I saw this machine in the window of a Vinnies Store (St. Vincent de Paul - a charity organisation) and thought I might like to have it, didn't get it straight away even though I had the money to pay for it in my purse. My travels took me past the same store a week later and it was still there, so after about another 15minutes of looking at it, decided to purchase it. There is no brand name stamped anywhere, even looked underneath everything. On the back of the machine in the centre of the decal I can just make out some writing that possible at some time has been in gold but has worn off but left a slight imprint, it reads "Made in the United States of America".
The bobbin cover plate has stamped on it

U.S. Pattents
Dec. 30.1884
Dec. 4.1888
May.21.1889
Mar. 11.1890

then upside down on the Plate is P. 43322.

I am hoping that someone on this board can give me a bit more information than I have now.

I have turned the handle and everything moves but it is stiff, probable hasn't been used in a while.

Wooden Cover Front View
[ATTACH=CONFIG]232597[/ATTACH]

Cover End View
[ATTACH=CONFIG]232598[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-232590.jpe   attachment-232591.jpe   attachment-232592.jpe  
Old 07-27-2011, 05:44 PM

What interesting, colorful decals, and a gorgeous case!

If someone doesn't have a good idea of brand pretty quickly, you can PM lostn51, and ask him to take a look at this topic. He knows EVERYTHING about vintage machines.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Power Poster

I have no idea what brand this is....just wanted to say I think it's beautiful. Could be a very useful little machine if you clean it up and get it going. I saw an English handcrank (incomplete no original cover) for $350 at a local store a couple of weeks ago. So if you do some research and a sympathetic restoration if you decide you are not "into" vintage, you could make a little profit. Something tells me though, you might not want to part with it:).
Old 07-27-2011, 05:52 PM

I'm pretty sure it's a Free-Westinghouse...saw one like that when I was out junkin'...only it was actually marked...case was identical tho...

It's very pretty!
Old 07-27-2011, 05:55 PM

How beautiful! It looks like it's a vibrating shuttle type machine with a long bobbin. The pillar end resembles a Singer 28 and the needle end resembles an early White.

The tensioner is similar to the one on my White Rotary from 1926.

That domed cover is lovely and the decals are very 1910's-20's-ish - such beautiful condition! Lucky you! :)

You could probably download manuals for the Singer 28/128 and the White Rotary and between them, figure out how to make it run.

With just a little more luck, it will take a standard 15x1 needle, or a 15x1 needle scootched down a little bit in the clamp.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:58 PM

Very pretty. :thumbup:
Old 07-27-2011, 05:59 PM

You had to see it more than once? I would have had it in my car on the first glimpse. You have a beautiful machine.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:03 PM

Beautiful machine!!!!
Old 07-27-2011, 06:12 PM

It is a beautiful machine and gorgeous case. I agree that it would have beat me to the car!!!
Old 07-27-2011, 10:16 PM
Cyn

Beautiful!