Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the very best way to mark a quilt for quilting? >

What is the very best way to mark a quilt for quilting?

What is the very best way to mark a quilt for quilting?

Old 10-14-2013, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
frixion pen!
Lqs tested the pen on brown fabric. A silver line was left after heat applied: don't know if they then washed the sample. I know I used it mark applique block for piece placement. I ironed the background before starting the appilque when camping. Silly me. All the lines were gone so no project to work on that weekend.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by sew4nin View Post
...Here is the link if anyone is interested. http://mythreesonsknit.blogspot.com/...s-warning.html
This link was fascinating - thanks for posting it!

My method: Wash newly purchased fabric in hot water with unscented/undyed detergent (eg All Free) and color catchers. Line dry. Iron before using fabric. I don't starch, I don't use a pressing aid, I do use steam.

Mark quilt top with whatever color chalk will show clearly, machine quilt over it, brush as much of the line away as possible with a natural bristle nail brush (just happens to be what I have lying in my marking pen box). If I have marked with either of the disappearing pens (air or water) I spray those lines away with plain water from a plastic spray bottle as I finish a section.

Wash completed quilt in warm or hot water, unscented detergent, color catchers. Line dry, or dry flat. Jump up and down cursing because chalk lines have not come out.

Alison
Old 10-14-2013, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by alisonquilts View Post
............Jump up and down cursing because chalk lines have not come out. Alison
................ you forgot LOUDLY, as I could hear you here!
Old 10-29-2013, 09:48 AM

I like to use Bohin's ceramic marking pencils. The white will rub off eventually so I don't mark an entire quilt. The grey does remain while quilting. I recently bought Quilter's Rule Marking Pencil Removal spray and used it on my last quilt. After washing the quilt, the marking lines were gone. I was pleasantly surprised. I have only used it the one time so I can't say if it works time and time again. The bottle says it contains no phosphates and removes marking pencil marks safely.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:06 AM
Banned

My experience is that sprit zing is not enough. It can't possibly take all the color out an what about the chemical left in the fabric. The ceramic pencil is not not to spritz. I don't believe any chalk should be spritzed either as water will cake the chalk.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:49 PM

Holice, I think listing steps is important.

*Prewash all fabric (unless I cant.....at a retreat....just had to have....from the vendor....use it now!)
*Press usually dry iron, not spray. Sometimes use water spritz or steam. Do NOT use Best Press or Starch, etc.
*Mark before assembling sandwich. Blue water erase pen preferred. White, pink or grey ceramic lead second choice. Frixion third choice.
*For water soluble pens/pencils, soak in warm water tub for 1/2 hour. Squeeze out water. Lay out flat to block.
*For heat removable products, press with iron, then block.

Have never had a problem with these methods.
Did have a quilt marked with blue water soluble pen. Gave it lots of water spritz, layed to dry, it came back. Was pretty careful, but did iron some of the returned marks. Then tub soaked it....it all came out.

Light color fabric is easy to mark. Highly patterned with lots of value contrast and dark fabrics are a challenge. For dark fabrics the ceramic pencils are the only I've found to show up. For highly patterned I've quilted it using an ebroidery machine, FMQ or panto...no markers have given a visable line I can follow.

Have gotton crayola water soluble markers and pounce powder that doesn't blow off. Haven't had chance to try them yet.

This is a subject I still watch for at international quilt shows, what product is out there now?
Old 10-30-2013, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by alisonquilts View Post
I know, I know...provocative title! And I know there is no right answer - but I have been experimenting with different methods since I started quilting (lo these many years), and I feel comfortable saying that I have found many wrong answers!

Mostly these days I mark with very pale colored chalk after the quilt is layered, and only do a small section of marking at a time, as the chalk tends to flake away as I move the quilt around. I have had problems with brighter colored chalk staining (even on colored, patterned fabrics), and I find the water erase quilt markers dry out too quickly to be worth the money. (But I really do like them. *sigh*) I also frequently use the white, yellow or blue fabric marking pencils, and have not had staining issues with them. I've never been successful marking the top before layering it - the methods I have tried have all had to be substantially re-marked after layering, or have left permanent marks.

Alison
Alison, we all have had the same problems. If I need to mark diagonal lines, you might want to get a HERA marker made by Clover available at JAF notion section. EB has demo this marker on a number of her Quilt in a Day videos. If I have a dark border to mark, I do like using the Clover thin line white chalk marker but NEVER USE THEIR BLUE OR YELLOW CHALK. Trust me, you will NEVER GET IT OUT!! I do use a blue be gone and purple occasionally but when I moved, I tested even the unopened package and had to toss most of them out because of dryness. Buy them ONLY when you are going to mark. Don't stock up because they are on sale.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:58 AM

I love the Frixion pens for marking my quilts. The marks iron off when quilting is finished.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
ditto to all you have said!

I've had the same dilemma ... I don't like taking risks and do not wash my quilts after quilting!

After reading about them here, I got a ceramic pencil this summer. It's a mechanical lead, in both black/charcoal and white.

So far so good, for the limited use I have had ... it makes a fine line, seems to "stick" when moving the quilt around, and pretty much disappears with the quilting. Or is it covered by the thread? Regardless, removal has not been an issue, so far!

It is water soluble, and while I have not had the need (yet!) ... some posters reported on here that they spritz it with water and rub it out, without washing. Another said she dabbed water on with a paint brush to remove the markings.

So long as it keeps on this way ... you can call me happy!
What is this pencil called? I'm still looking for something to work
Old 02-05-2014, 08:30 PM

I use the purple disappearing ink. Yes, it does disappear quickly, BUT if you mark a section and immediately apply heat with an iron it will make the ink darker and stay longer, but I promise you, it will eventually disappear. This method has not failed me yet.