Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the very best way to mark a quilt for quilting? >

What is the very best way to mark a quilt for quilting?

What is the very best way to mark a quilt for quilting?

Old 10-13-2013, 03:32 AM
Banned

I am always curious about quilters who use the disappearing markers, both the one that disappears with air or by using steam or hot iron. Are u not concerned about the chemical remaining in the fabric. Is it " if I don't see it , it is ok
This might also be true of the chalk pounce type that is removed by steam.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
Have you ever considered that when using the disappearing ink marker that even tho the color disappears there is chemical still in the fabric.
Are u not concerned about the chemical remaining in the fabric....This might also be true of the chalk pounce type that is removed by steam.
Yes, I am concerned by the thought of leaving chemicals in the fabric, but I wash all of my quilts after they are finished so that the chemicals (and the dog and cat hair) are gone. So far, washing has removed all sign of the "disappearers", but on several occasions has NOT washed all trace of the darker colored chalks from the chalk sets with a multitude of skinny chalk refills and a fat red holder. Somethiing about the iron-off pens worries me - I feel like I read somewhere that the left-in-but-invisible lines had ended up eating very real lines through the fabric over time...

My dilemma is what to use on fabric like the background fabric in this quilt. If you look very closely you'll see (under the stitching lines) that the chalk lines didn't fully wash out. And this was washed twice (because the lines didn't come out the first time, either. *snort*) On this kind of patterned, medium-value fabric, light colored markers (white chalk, yellow fabric marking pencil) don't show up well, both colors of the disappearing markers don't show up well (the purple does sort of, if you really lay it on), but the dark or brilliant chalks do show up (the bright yellow and orange, the dark blue and the hot pink), except that then they don't wash out!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]441004[/ATTACH]

Anyway, it sounds like I need to try washable Crayolas, and that everyone else has similar issues with their markers too! I thank everyone for reporting their favorite methods.

Alison
Attached Thumbnails star-quilt-quilting-detail-etsy-upload-2.jpg  
Old 10-13-2013, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

AlisonQuilts ... I'm joining you on the marking frustration!
You would think that with all the quilters and all their concerns, someone would figure out how to build a better marking mousetrap?

I posted earlier about my limited use of the ceramic pencils and was happy.

So since then, I used them on a "real" project ... and cannot get them to come out, as I had been told they should. No, I have not washed it, and honestly, did not plan to ... but looks like that is going to be my only option.

Unless someone else comes up with a suggestion ............... please!
Old 10-13-2013, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
AlisonQuilts ... I'm joining you on the marking frustration!...I posted earlier about my limited use of the ceramic pencils and was happy.

So since then, I used them on a "real" project ... and cannot get them to come out, as I had been told they should. No, I have not washed it, and honestly, did not plan to ... but looks like that is going to be my only option....
Yikes QuiltE! I read your earlier post, and had decided to purchase the ceramic pencils (haven't done it yet, of course - that would have been efficient!) so I am bummed to hear that you are having issues with them. Is your current quilt particularly unsuited to being washed?

I think part of my problem is that I don't like to mark my quilts with gentle little dots and dotted lines that merely hint at the suggestion of pattern - I like good, solid, lines that I can see even if I have one eye closed*. I don't think the manufacturers of these marking pencils and markers have my kind of marking in mind!

Alison

*I don't ever actually sew with one eye closed.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

It'st just a Halloween panel that I added borders too ... so yes, it could be washed, but I kind of like the crisp look without the washed crinkled antiqued look.

Yes, I should have done more testing first ... but the little I did, it was no problem.
How much testing can one do, before they can feel secure? Obviously not enough!!
Old 10-13-2013, 07:20 PM
Banned

I always wipe or gently erase marks, especially chalk type, to remove the chalk residue. Chalk will cake, there t want to get as much off as possible.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:35 PM
Power Poster

I always wipe or gently erase marks, especially chalk type, to remove the chalk residue. Chalk will cake, there t want to get as much off as possible.
Holice ... Any suggestions re the ceramic pencil removal?
Please? and Thanks!
Old 10-14-2013, 06:11 AM
Banned

Let us not totally blame the marker. In reading these comments it becomes clear that a marker that works for one does not necessarily work for another. I wonder why this is so. Could be the fabric, or the environment in which the fabric is stored and if ore washed the chemical composition of the water, some detergents are not recommended to be used. For instance, the formulae suggested for removing regular lead pencils say " don't use Dawn" there was a teacher in NJ who only used the light blue multi pastel chalk and recommended it to her students. When I tried using the blur I couldn't bleach the marks out. So there must be something else required. Is it erasing lines before washing, or wiping them off. I use the cerimac fine lead on black batik and have no problem. Yet others here can't get it off.
The best product testers in the world are on this board. Let's find out what makes the difference. As an example...rather than say " it works for me" tell what you do to make it work. Another good example. Eats last week in the discussion about the substitute for best press and potatoe va grain vodka. One. Quilter said she had used both and there was no difference.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

I can totally see your logic Holice ... the problem is that often we don't know what we do to make it work for us (or not work)!

For my ceramic problem ... here's what I did ... all of what I understood was correct ...
* pre-washed fabric ... hot washer and dryer, colour catcher in the wash
* assembled quilt using Best Press along the way
* final pressing and more Best Press
* dark ceramic pencil for marking
* FMQ
* spritzed the ceramic lines and gently rubbed with batting to get off
* didn't work, so was more vigorous
* didn't work ... now sitting til I decide what next!
Old 10-14-2013, 06:30 AM

I too have yet to find the "right" marking pencil. I was going to get some frixion pens to try. I went on line to see where would be the closest place to buy them and stumbled on this lady's blog. She has done some experimenting with the frixion pens and has posted pictures of the results. It was very helpful. After seeing her results, I don't think I will be buying these. Here is the link if anyone is interested. http://mythreesonsknit.blogspot.com/...s-warning.html