Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What would you do with this fabric?

What would you do with this fabric?

My sister sent me a yd. piece of silk fabric she purched when on her trip to China. Any suggestions as to what to do with a one yard piece of silk fabric?

Make a purse or a vest with co-ordinating fabric.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

I would have to see it, but am thinking a neck scarf or sash for a belt if you ware one. Maybe if the print is nice a small
    shell for under a suit jacket?

Incorporate it into a wall hanging, so you can appreciate it's prettiness, but not have to worry about washing much. (Am thinking it will need dry cleaning.)
    MacThayer

You didn't give us enough information. How wide is the fabric? Do you wear shells? Can you post a picture? Do you like the color? Would a silk pillow fit into your decor? Do you want to make your sister a gift?

What sort of silk is it?...Is it sheer or is embroidered silk? I bought 39 meters of embroidered silk when we were in China. I would venture to guess that you also have a meter...39". The Chinese use the metric system. Also, how wide is it? The embroidered silk is only about 40-42" wide.
    If it's the embroidered silk, you could make a jacket, using the emb. silk for the front...a vest might work, an evening bag...a shawl.... I have a friend that made a crazy quilt using embroidered silk and velvet (velveteen). It was beautiful....One day, I'd like to do that as well. So far, out of the 39 meters I bought in 2000, I have made two long sleeved Chinese style shirt/jackets....low mandarin style collars, tapered, uncuffed sleeves, long tailed....One is black with small gold dragons, the other is turquoise with muli color small chinese florals and pagodas. Maybe one day in the not so distant future, I will get some more made up! DH wants me make a couple of knee length robes for us.

Good luck and post your project.
    Those who are piecemakers will sew seeds.

Hugs,
    Drue

You should send it to me!!!!
    Mazda

my brother did that with a few yards of brocade silk after his tour of duty. i kept it for years..finely made a sheek evening dress out of it. wish i had followed different path. it wore out. i would make something that would see little wear, not exposed to sunlight etc, but could be seen and cherished by you for years. someone mentioned a scarf...that sounds good for a yard of fabric if it is lightwt. and it can be displayed or worn...either way it would be a lovely reminder of your sisters trip & her largesse
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

Blog Entries
    Looks like everybody is suggesting the same things from your original post what would you do

I think the fabric sounds gorgeous and would love to see a picture of it!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Senior Member Aubrey'sQuiltingCreations's Avatar
    Could you somehow make it into a decorative wall piece?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast