Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What are your favorite color combinations for quilting? >

What are your favorite color combinations for quilting?

What are your favorite color combinations for quilting?

Old 05-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

I love the fall colors, browns, reds, oranges, greens but I also love teal with assorted contrasts (yellow, purple). Hard for me is anything high contrast like black and white.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:20 PM
Kel

When I first started quilting I tended to go for country and folk art type of designs and fabric. Like my home was decorated. I like batiks but find them hard for hand quilting and the colors can run, even with good quality fabrics.
A friend of mine was given an antique quilt in pastels and it has really held up well. I like the colors used in this quilt and that the fabric with a white focal fabric.
I seem to be gravatating now toward using white focal fabric with bright bold colors mixed with pastels, for a more modern look. I love how the colors pop on the white backrounds.
Kel
Old 05-01-2013, 04:00 PM

I use all colors, but I have to say that Tomato Red somehow makes it into each of my quilts. It's so bright and cheerful and it goes with everything.

~ Cindy
Old 05-01-2013, 04:33 PM

I tend to buy the earthy colors...but I've been also loving muted brighter colors as well
Old 05-01-2013, 09:57 PM

Hi, Rhonda. I have seen a quilt made with brown and pink. Something that I think I will try soon. Write to me when you have time. Ellie (aka sewellie)
Old 05-01-2013, 10:16 PM
Power Poster

I love all the color combos mentioned. I am not much for the muddy colors either. I don't like grays and creams much. I feel they are non colors rather than colors. Silver is a "color" that to me is a non color.
White is good for contrast but not something I would use in my quilt blocks much. I always worry it will look dirty after use and I feel the same about creams.

I like small to med floral prints. If I see a larger floral print I think of it for a Dresden Kaleidoscope but not for quilt blocks in general. I guess I am always drawn to country colors or black and white mostly.

I have 6 shelves for my main colors I use the most. Black Green Purple Blue Red Brown and I have recently been buying some yellows.

But I also have shelves of things people have sent me and I did buy some batiks to play with. however I haven't really done much with them. I also bought some 1930s repros.

I used to always use the darker colors as the lady I sold to wanted them to be int he Amish style. but she closed the store a couple of years ago and I have been playing with more lighter to bright colors lately.
I was not allowed to use pinks or yellows or browns and I have been having fun finding the light colors I couldn't use before.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:25 AM
Power Poster

My favourite colour is purple, though nothing screams this except the contents of my wardrobe....I collect all kinds of fabrics in all kinds of colours...even novelty prints. Hand dyes are especially appealing to me.....just depends on the quilt and who I'm making it for.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:55 AM

Since most of my quilts are for kids, I tend to go to brights, however, I do like alot of color combo's. If the color combo's attrack me then I love it. So I don't think I really have a favorite for myself.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:42 AM

I love all kinds of colors. I do tend to especially love the warmer "country colors", but I also love jewel tones. Lately I have been drawn to a lot of red, and I just bought a lot of yards of soft grey because I loved it! Maybe I will think about a red and soft grey quilt