Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your favorite color combinations for quilting?

Blog Entries

What are your favorite color combinations for quilting?

I love country colors and seem to be set in my ways. I tend to go with burgandies and greens and blues. I also like black and white with red or yellow. I am very traditional I guess and don't really go with batiks too much. Nor do I buy any jelly rolls or whatever. I like to pick my own fabrics.

I wondered what everyone else thinks about combining colors for fabrics in a quilt. So what draws your eye when you buy fabric?

I am needing to branch out and explore new ideas for color. so any tips and sharing your likes and dislikes would be appreciated!

I thought I was the only one who didn't care for batiks! I'm at heart a traditionalist quilter, too. But I do want to make a quilt using pink and grey. I've seen some beautiful quilts made using these colors!
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

Blog Entries
    I like the bright prints but I am also drawn to the vintage shades of green pink and blue like the colors that Bonnie and Camille use in their Moda lines. I am really drawn to the aqua and gray quilts that I am seeing more and more of lately also. I really want to make a quilt using a soft grey for the background instead of white or white on white.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I love bright colors, especially red, but love batiks too. I really get depressed with the civil war colors and the such.

Hi Rhonda, I love brights and whites. Not so much into the "grayed" colors.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

My favorite color combination is a tertiary triad: orchid, salmon and lime green. I've made quilts from this combination for years and am happy to continue. When I shop, these are the colors I look for. My large blue stash just sits there-sometimes I deliberately choose to make a blue quilt, and give it away.

When I started quilting some 23 yrs ago, very quickly people were saying, "there's a Laura fabric", and they were right. Since I didn't want to be pigeon holed that quickly, I decided to make a switch. The rules were: only shop from the clearance tables and don't make any predictable decisions. I chose a very large ocean print with sting rays, shrimp, star fish, sea anemones, seaweed and fish as the focus fabric. The pattern is "Aquarium" from East Quilts West. The clerks were always surprised at my fabric choices. I still love that quilt. And continue to love finding unusual combinations from the clearance tables.

I tend to lean toward purple. Just can't help it...usually several shades of purple.

Dina

Oh my -- what a hard question. Brights, pastels that are not grayed, no oranges or browns though peach and warm taupe make their way into my quilts on occasion. I do lean closer to teal, blue, purple, yellow, green, red,.... (see what I mean)
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I like orange and teal together. Also black/white/red. All pale baby colors, pinks, blues, greens, yellows. Let's put it this way lol I don't like dull grays or dull greens.
    Syl

Recently I organized my stash and realized I had a lot of every color except purple. How strange I love purple. Well of course there is so little in my stash because it gets used up. If I ever get through my UFOs I am going try to move outside my comfort zone and use colors that are not easy for me. Maybe chose parts of the color wheel that are new to me. Petthefabric, right there with you, have more blues in my stash than any single other color. Aunt Piggy so agree about the greys that are so popular right now for the backgrounds.

Blog Entries
    I tend to lean towards blues, greens, purples in mid-bright tones. I like pastels too. I don't care much for many of the drab collections from Moda...civil war colors, etc. I also like black & white with a punch of color.

I love working with muddies or drab fabrics. But, I like pastels and medium hues, also. Am forcing myself to look at bright fabrics in true colors such as royal blue, rich blue reds, purples. My quilt friends use these colors and create pretty quilts. I do better with quilts which appear antique but are new.

I love pure, bright colors, all pinks, and batiks are great! Soft colors are nice too..... just no peach or rusty browns.
    Like whites for backgrounds (vs. beige). Am wanting to do gray background as well.
    So many ideas, so little time!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I love the color combination of greens and purples together. I love batiks and love to work with them. About the time I say I don't like the 'muddy' colors I see a beautiful quilt and have to give these colors a try. I tend to stay away from the blues. I really don't like civil war fabrics and have never ever made anything with them or even thought of buying even1/4 yard of them. I see other quilts that use this fabric and thing\k "What a nice quilt" but have never wanted to make anything in those fabrics.

I am a bit of a magpie, bright and sparkly, have trouble walking away from sparkly, and it not always easy to use in quilts, use lots of brights and blackbackgrounds, but often make quilts for the person intended, their colour choices

Purple, purple with teal, blue with lighter colors. I don't much like red, orange. Green and yellow and black are ok. I don't like pastels, but need some for contrast, or to use cream, white. I don't like brown or tan.

All my life my favorite color has been blue. I also like greens and browns.

When I am shopping for fabric, I like patterns that swirl a lot. I worry about the accuracy of my cutting so I avoid stripes.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    I like to make quilts that look like they threw up a fabric store.
    peace
    Last edited by ube quilting; 04-29-2013 at 03:42 PM.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I love just about every color combo , my favorite is the one I am working on , my least favorite ( or the one not be done anytime soon) is the one I just finished... with one exception... fall colors.. I never seem to get tired of them.

I gravitate to earthtone batiks. I have yet to meet a batik I did not like.

I love blue, green and purple and I really love batiks! I don't care much for Civil War prints but I like 30's realy well. I don't buy jelly rolls or layer cakes, percut fabric in general unless I need FQ's for something. I rarely buy kits because I like to chose my own fabrics.

Yellow and gray is cool. So is pink and gray.

I am a scrappy quilter. I just reach into the bag, pull out a fabric and use it. No matter what color!When I do a lotto block then I have to purchase light fabric for the bakground. Does your guild do lotto blocks? That is a good way to try new things.. Branch out it is fun..Hugs

I love it all, depending on my mood. I have figured out that I like a pretty good amount of white or cream mixed in. Gives my eyes a place to rest!

Blog Entries
    Let's put it this way, the only color I don't really gravitate towards is a rusty/orange brick color, yet I do have some in my stash, it seems to remind me of the 70's...why? I have no idea.
    ​We can't help everyone, But everyone can help someone.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast