Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inspiration for Color Combinations >

Inspiration for Color Combinations

Inspiration for Color Combinations

Old 05-11-2011, 07:48 AM

Of course I have my color wheel but I have discovered that there are so many great combos for quilt colors all around me. In nature, clothing, bathrooms (I know that is odd but the tiles sometimes help me think of monocromatic themes with batiks).
I have decided to use my camera phone to take photos of my inspirations.

Where do you get your inspiration for color combinations?
Old 05-11-2011, 07:58 AM

Pretty much the same as you, although I haven't seen many colorful bathrooms. :)

I look at nature, other quilts, paintings, just about anything with color.

Janet
Old 05-11-2011, 07:59 AM

I get most of mine by looking at other peoples quilts and quilting magazines and pictures.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:06 AM

Fabric collections - they usually make it easy, having light, medium, and dark within the same collection.

Other than that, I just use the colours I like, even though they may be unusual combinations. I once had a bouquet of dahlias - orange, purple, and bright pink - it was striking and I have loved that combination ever since. Mother Nature always has a good eye for colours!

:thumbup:
Old 05-11-2011, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

Much the same as those before me!

Sometimes I see a piece of fabric I love .... and then use it to create colour combinations for other projects.

Another place I turn to is wallpaper. An interior decorator taught me that when I am trying to put two colours (ie two rooms in my home) together that really don't go together, look for wallpaper that has the two colours, and let it be the transition. It worked in my home ... and now I use it for fabric too!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:31 AM

Everywhere, but those paint strips at the Lowe's are wonderful! You can get them with three or four color combos, Great tools!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:45 AM

Anything I see that I really like when I'm out at the library or a fabric shop or walking around (I always have my camera in my pocket. I have bought the occasional piece of fabric that I probably will never use for fabric just because I like the color combo.

When I'm home I sometimes go to Google images and do a search for quilts, wallhangings, needlework or whatever else hits me at the time. When I'm looking through, I save anything that reaches out to me.

I have been known to write a couple of people and ask the name of the pattern for their avatar when it was something I wanted desperately. There's at least 15 projects in my "Do" file.

I save everything I see that I like, whether it's for the pattern idea or the color combination. I figure I have enough inspiration on my computer in my "Quilt" file to last a lifetime. Then there's my "Pincushion" file and my "crazy quilt" file and a few others.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:51 AM

although I haven't seen many colorful bathrooms. :)
-------------------------------
I saw one in a half bath at a friends' that had leaping fish on it. The owner had been raised near the ocean in Florida,
They made me feel the fish were going to jump up and snap at my ankles.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:51 AM

I do the same thing, in fact, I have to remind myself to focus sometimes or else I am mentality driffting off to the quilt room. so many things make great patterns...some people don't see them though, my 13 DGS loves the roots of old trees that show above the ground...he thinks those are awesome...keep thinking and looking....
Old 05-11-2011, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by ruck9085
Everywhere, but those paint strips at the Lowe's are wonderful! You can get them with three or four color combos, Great tools!
I like the paint strips too!