Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your favorite fabric >

What is your favorite fabric

What is your favorite fabric

Old 08-24-2016, 08:05 AM

That was a good question!
Old 08-24-2016, 08:06 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

When I was looking for a particular teal of Kaufman Kona to finish a quilt in which I was using up the last I had, I found my laptop did not correctly portray the colors I was viewing so I couldn't buy more. I have a Moda Bella color card so I began to compare it with solids I have that I also knew were Konas. I was surprised how much more 'dull', grayed, washed out the Bellas were compared to Konas.

Kona bugs me that it ravels so badly; the threads often get in the way of my piecing and make me worry the quilt will come apart when it is washed several times. But their colors are better than nearly anyone! I have tried Connecting Threads before and liked them. Have just ordered some and will try to remember to come back here to report on the latest 'hand' when they arrive.

Jan in VA
Old 08-24-2016, 10:10 AM

I love Kona for my solids.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
Have you tried the line called "American Made Brand" fabrics? They look to be as nice as the Kona solids. Check with your LQS. Also available on Amazon if I recall.
I believe Hancock's of Paducka(sp) sells American made brand and I bought some, it was nice even after I washed it.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:30 PM

Have you tried Hoffman's Indah solids? They are batik dyed fabrics - but solids! Not mottled. Their batik fabric has a tighter weave and I think they feel sturdier and less transparent than typical printed cottons.

http://www.hoffmanfabrics.com/produc...-indah-solids/
Old 08-24-2016, 04:44 PM

Thanks everybody for all the opinions. When I say thin I mean hold it up toward a light & you could read a newspaper through it. Not good. This is the way a friend age 91 chooses fabric or not. At that age I think she knows what she is talking about. LOL. I used to love Kona, but the last I bought was not as heavy as a few years ago, Moda is not being made as well either. I used to buy my solids at Hancock fabrics, now closed, & even their fabric was very thin. I have ordered from Connecting Threads & it wasn't bad, but still not what I wanted. I have ordered from Fabric.com, Marshall's Dry Goods, & so many other's I would have to look to see. I will try Hancock's of Paducah suggested by Carol34446 & UncleGravy (by the way, love the name).
Old 08-25-2016, 02:38 AM

I do not like the American made at all. I remade half a quilt after using that. It was horrible fabric. I like the real Konah, not the stuff Jo Ann sells.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:17 AM

Timely topic for me. I'm piecing a top using some Connecting Thread solids, and while I like the feel of them, the raveling is really annoying. Sounds like Kona has the same problem. I'll try some of the others mentioned in this thread.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:29 AM

I have decided that when I use the whites or the blacks that they have shadows (maybe swirls, stars, dots, etc.) They add a touch of texture but are still white or black or red or blue, etc. They put in the color but still have some interest and they have a heavier weight of the fabric...some of the just plain one color fabric is really, really thin.
Attached Thumbnails friendtopper.jpg   babyquilt.jpg   screen-shot-2016-08-25-8.24.30-am.png  

Last edited by QuiltingHaven; 08-25-2016 at 04:31 AM.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:37 AM

I like Kaufman Kona Solids and Moda Bella, and think the Kona is woven from slightly heavier threads but a little more loosely woven, the Moda Bella is "finer", softer and silkier. But I like both brands and buy based on color and price.