Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite thread for FMQ'ing on your small home machine?

What is your favorite thread for FMQ'ing on your small home machine?

I'm having fits of trouble using Sulky thread in my Janome machine for FMQ'ing. I am wondering what brand of thread you all prefer for FMQ'ing? Thanks!

I now have a longarm, but sometimes do small things on my Bernina. I use aurifil and have had no problems. I used it for larger quilts before I had the longarm and it was fine.
    Beth in Maryland

Blog Entries
    some embroidery threads (sulky) do not work well for free motion quilting.
    visit connecting threads, Atlanta Thread Company or Superior threads --
    Superior threads have lots of great information and charts you can print off telling you what threads are good for- the differences in sizes/weights and what needles to use with what threads- an invaluable resource.
    i love the quilting threads from Connecting threads and Superior threads.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Aurifil 50 WT Sometimes when the thread breaks it might be because the needle opening is too small. I quilt on my Janome 6500 and it is a thread snob. It can not handle much else. I also use a top stitch needle 90/14 schmetz. I also use a vintage Bernina 830 recorder and can use thick thread on it as long as I use the top stich needle.
    Last edited by Annaquilts; 04-03-2012 at 04:20 PM.
    Anna Quilts

Aurifil and Superior Threads. Also Titanium coated needles by Superior Threads. Connecting Threads has great thread also, but it does leave a lot of lint.
    The Trike Riding Quilting Diva

Blog Entries
    Aurifil 50 wt (orange colored spool).

Blog Entries
    Connecting Threads or Gutterman cotton quilting thread work on my Viking. It didn't seem to like Coats & Clark.

Sulky is rayon and a weaker thread. I wouldn't use it to quilt a quilt that is used and washed often. I'm not surprised you're having problems with it. I use good quality, cotton thread like Aurifil.

Blog Entries
    I like Glide, Isacord, Aurifil, and Connecting Threads Pro. Glide is my favorite. For detailed machine quilting I use silk or Invisifil thread.
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
    Connecting Threads or Gutterman cotton quilting thread work on my Viking. It didn't seem to like Coats & Clark.
    Exact same thing with my Viking. I prefer Connecting Threads due to the price.

My machine is a thread snob too...I found my tension has to be set on 8 and right now I'm trying YUI I think but I have another spool from the quilt store to try. It loves a German brand and I found big spools once and of course I can't find the big spools again only 250 meter ones of AMMAN or AMANN (I'm not in my sewing room). I even called the company to find where they supply it to I'll be making the trip.
    *Rachel*

I have heard this complaint before about this thread. My machine a Janome Kenmore uses most anything just fine. I have not tried Sulky.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

I have great luck with Sew Fine on top and Bottom Line in the bobbin.

Thanks to the Viking users for weighing in. Have new to me viking rose lots of connecting thread threads and a brand new foot to try. Guess which configuration I am going to try first? Love this board for all the info on the quirks of various machines and techniques. I'm most interested in what will get the job done neatly and cleanly first shot if possible.

I use good old Coats & Clarks on my Babylock with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle8675309 View Post
    I'm having fits of trouble using Sulky thread in my Janome machine for FMQ'ing. I am wondering what brand of thread you all prefer for FMQ'ing? Thanks!
    I use Presencia. It is a long staple Egyptian cotton which produces very little lint. The 500 yd spools are more cost effective than the smaller spools.

Blog Entries
    Connecting Threads Essential Cotton works great in my Bernina.

Quote Originally Posted by LyndaOH View Post
    I have great luck with Sew Fine on top and Bottom Line in the bobbin.
    Lynda, I have been using the Superior also - sew Fine for bobbin and spool - for piecing and machine quilting on my Janome. My only problem is that it is SOOOO fine that I can't see the stitches to use a seam ripper on it! I had to make the stitch size bigger It is a lot easier to see Aurfil.

What is the advantage of using the Bottom Line? Would you use it for piecing also?
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

The Sulky I'm using is 100% cotton...I bought it at my LQS.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by donnalynett View Post
    Exact same thing with my Viking. I prefer Connecting Threads due to the price.
    I just bought the thread from Connecting Threads but haven't tried it yet but I do love Aurifil on my Viking. The rep when I bought the mega quilter said Viking recommends this thread. I use it more than any other for everything. I'm trying Connecting Thread due to the cost. I also use Aurifil on my other Vikings with great success and low lint.
    Judy

I just received a set of threads from Connecting Threads...15 1200 yd spools on sale for $22.95. My Bernina can be fussy about quilting thread but it really likes the Connecting Thread and you can't beat the price.
    Sam @ Samantha's House.blogspot.com
    SamanthasHouse @Etsy.com

I use Signature Cotton, sometimes Coats and Clark 100% cotton, and love connecting threads cotton.

I FM with silk thread now....works really great!

I have a Janome MC 6700, and it can be a real thread snob. I was having a terrible time with FMQ until one of the Janome reps showed me how to reset the bobbin tension, which was a no-no for him. Apparently we dumb quilters are only supposed to rely on the top tension, but I've been sewing long enough to know that there is a bobbin tension as well, and I nagged him into it. Once he showed me where it was, voila! Would you believe it looks and is adjusted just like the one in the machine I had 30 years ago? A tiny screw right in the front of the bobbin case. Don't adjust it more than a quarter turn at any one time. Breaking thread means your bobbin tension is too tight, and in the case of machines that do both embroidery and sewing, they set those bobbins extra tight, for the embroidery, which is no wonder it's too tight for quilting. On mine, I just lift up the top plate, and I can see the screw right in front of me. I don't even have to take the bobbin case out.

Having said that, my Janome is still a thread snob. The rep told me my machine would do better with the same thread on top and in the bobbin too, and I've found that to be true. For quilting, since I still like a cotton thread but a strong one, I like "King Tut" put out by Superior Threads. Lots of colors. I've only had one thread break with it, and that's after miles of quilting. If you want different colors on the top and bottom, it also works fine by using a different colored King Tut on top and in the bobbin. As long as it's the same make of thread, it works. I haven't been able to get these pre-filled bobbins to work well.

Cheers!
    MacThayer

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle8675309 View Post
    My Pfaff 2034 doesn't like anything but good quality thread so I'm using Mettler mostly and it's happy with that. My older Pfaff 1209 is happy with anything although I don't do FMQ very often with the older one, mainly because I like the needle down and slower speed of the 2034. Of course I have tons of Coats and Clark's thread and some of the big spools from Joann's and now don't use it except in the 1209. My only complaint about the Mettler is that our LQS doesn't carry a big spool of it (not sure if that is even available) and when FMQ you use alot of thread.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast