Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your most fun part of making a quilt? >

What is your most fun part of making a quilt?

What is your most fun part of making a quilt?

Old 04-23-2017, 07:28 PM
Power Poster

I love pulling the fabrics from my stash and scrap bins... then cutting, I love cutting. And I love making the blocks. I usually enjoy the actual quilting too. Quilting is awesome!
Old 04-23-2017, 09:04 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I love working with color --- pulling the fabrics from my stash is the most fun part for me! In fact, I find that more and more these days, I pick colors, do the piecing to see how they all look together, then I'm done with that quilt and it becomes a UFO. I need to partner with someone who loves to do the quilting part, LOL!! Any takers?

Jan in VA
Old 04-23-2017, 10:15 PM

I'm with you Jan in VA. I love the design phase. I used to be afraid of cutting! But now when I buy new fabric I can't wait to cut it up and see what it will become! I'm learning now to love the quilting aspect as I bought a long arm last year.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:49 AM

I love putting the blocks up on my design wall and seeing them make another design that I didn't expect.
I love piling colours together before I start.
I love, (Yes, I know I'm nuts), ironing and starching fabrics, before cutting them.
I love FMQ-ing when you get in a rhythm and you can just keep going.

Watson
Old 04-24-2017, 03:54 AM
Power Poster

I like it all too but the hardest part is fabric selection. Sometimes it all comes together easily and sometimes it takes a while. But I like it all from beginning to end.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:12 AM

I enjoy planning / doing the math on the quilt - figuring out how many of each piece I need to cut and therefore how much fabric I need.
And weirdly I've started to enjoy squaring up the blocks. My last quilt had 88 blocks and I remember sitting there looking at them and thinking how long it was going to take, but once I got going it was kind of fun. It doesn't require a great deal of attention, so I could let my mind wander or listen to a podcast, and it was very relaxing.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:14 AM

I like it all, but pulling fabrics on a new project might just be my favorite. Love working with color.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:16 AM

I love all aspects. Except when things aren't going well, then whatever the problem whether choosing fabrics, designing, piecing, quilting on my domestic machine-- that part gets momentarily demoted to not love until the problem is solved.

If I had to choose my least favorite aspect of quilting it would be precision piecing, or doing any part that requires putting lots of the same units together-- which is why I do so many art/improv. quilts.

I like to doodle quilt for relaxation.

I even enjoy the sandwiching and basting part...

Rob
Old 04-24-2017, 04:54 AM

Planning the quilt design, then picking the fabrics, the rest is to "get it done".
Old 04-24-2017, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

I know this is going to sound as though I cannot make a decision, but I like the whole thing. I like to audition the fabric, cut it and get ready to sew. When the top is done I really enjoy thinking about how I want to quilt it. Even the binding is fun for me because I am already thinking about the next project.

Actually there is one part that I do not like....ripping out stitches when I put a piece in the wrong place.