Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What is your quilting dilemna ? >
  • What is your quilting dilemna ?

• What is your quilting dilemna ?

Old 03-24-2017, 11:21 AM

I've never really gotten that nesting seams thing down. I understand the concept, but the execution leaves much to be desired.
    Old 03-24-2017, 11:36 AM

Yes, that does help. But not much if you are color blind, like me!
    Old 03-24-2017, 11:37 AM

I have trouble handling the big quilts, king and queen size.
    Old 03-24-2017, 11:57 AM

Three that come to mind:

1) Geometry challenged - but that is one of the reasons I chose quilting. I figured it would force my brain to work overtime during my retirement. It does force my brain to think, and I have noticed improvements in geometric perception. However, true dilemma is making my eyes and hands do what my brain understand. Something gets lost on the way from the brain to the eyes and hands. And that is why we have seam rippers.

2) color blind - didn't know it until I was in my 20's. I see the basic 8, but shades often baffle me. You have no idea how many quilts in magazines I think are ugly and wonder why anyone would make such an ugly quilt. When I read the directions, I find that one or more of the fabrics used are color invisible to me. I know there is something in the blocks, but the the color and/or pattern of the fabric look so washed out that they don't add to the quilt. Pastels do very little for me. Most of my quilts are made with 2 to 4 fabrics, high contrast, one focus fabric. I call them 'dramatic". I also make good use of my quilting buddies as color consultants.

3) Operator error. See 1 and 2, but impatience causes just as many problems as 1 and 2. And my best sewing is always done when the bobbin is empty - but at least I don't have to rip out stitches to fix that.
    Old 03-24-2017, 01:27 PM
    Power Poster

To keep the seam from veering at the end. Put your first finger of your left hand on the left edge of the pressure foot when nearing the end. No more veering.

I guess I don't have any quilting dilemmas. I found all quilt making mistakes can be corrected with patience and practice.

Last edited by Onebyone; 03-24-2017 at 01:34 PM.
    Old 03-24-2017, 02:46 PM

my quilting dilemmas all happen with my long arm. I like piecing more than quilting, so I've got over 20 floppies waiting to be quilted now.
    Old 03-24-2017, 03:25 PM

my quilting dilemmas are always about which idea to pursue next. I sometimes have so many ideas for projects banging around in my brain that it is hard to choose which thing I want to work on leading to many projects going at once, or even put on a pile to get to later...which is why I joined the UFO challenge last year and again this year LOL.

Rob
    Old 03-24-2017, 03:41 PM
    Power Poster

I offered a colleague to put the binding on his mom's quilt that just came back from the Long-armer. The LA did not take care to do a nice square pattern. I will have to cut off or cover some of the quilting with the binding. This makes me upset but I have no choice. There is no way to fix it.

As for the rulers and the feet - I try to use the same ruler throughout the project, just in case one is not consistent with the other and I have not had any problems. One of my feet (the one with the 1/4" guide) sews a wider than 1/4" seam so I banned it. Now I use the regular 1/4" foot and as long as I am consistent all will be well.
    Old 03-24-2017, 04:02 PM
    Power Poster

I think there is an unwritten law that for every good LA there are 25 lousy ones. LOL
    Old 03-24-2017, 07:08 PM
    Power Poster

yes, vision is my problem lately. glad I'm not alone.