Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your quilting dilemna ? >

What is your quilting dilemna ?

What is your quilting dilemna ?

Old 03-25-2017, 05:40 AM

1. Squaring up blocks! I have a problem doing that without cutting off points due to not leaving enough seam allowance.
2. Even if the block is perfect (seldom) I have a problem sewing at the point because I can't see it under the pressure foot. I think it's because I'm short (4' 10" ). I look at the needle from the front but can't see over the needle from the top. If I raise my chair up high enough then I can't reach the foot pedal.!
3. Eyesight! I have big floaters in the middle of both eyes that drive me crazy! But I do the best I can. My quilts are far from perfect but I enjoy the process, and non-quilters that see my quilts don't notice the imperfections. 😊
Old 03-25-2017, 05:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by janjanq View Post
1. Squaring up blocks! I have a problem doing that without cutting off points due to not leaving enough seam allowance.
2. Even if the block is perfect (seldom) I have a problem sewing at the point because I can't see it under the pressure foot. I think it's because I'm short (4' 10" ). I look at the needle from the front but can't see over the needle from the top. If I raise my chair up high enough then I can't reach the foot pedal.!
3. Eyesight! I have big floaters in the middle of both eyes that drive me crazy! But I do the best I can. My quilts are far from perfect but I enjoy the process, and non-quilters that see my quilts don't notice the imperfections. 

So raise your foot pedal too.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:43 AM

For me, I would choose a book for good pictures and clear directions..One that comes to mind is the Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting. I has chapters on nearly every quilting technique and has wonderful up-close pictures. While it is expensive, it is all you need to get you started down the wonderful road of quilting.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:30 AM

My biggest hurtle is slowing my brain down. While I am sewing on one, my mind is already thinking one, two or three ahead.

Another is catching up with my scraps. I hate cutting and I know I won't use them if I don't have them cut to a usable size (for me 2 1/2" sqs. or strips, or 5" sqs. if smaller than 1/8 yd.) and color coded. I don't like pawing through clutter to find that perfect color or print. Call me OCD, ha, ha.

Sewing for me. I always get "side tracked" with gifts, people in need, etc. but mine never seem to get done or quilted. My choice, so not really complaining either. They will get done eventually.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:46 AM

I have a favorite chair I use for just the quilting part. It is one of the bar stools that I have at my kitchen island. It is too high for me to reach the pedal on the floor. So I use this little stool to put my foot petal on. Works great!
Old 03-25-2017, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by janjanq View Post
3. Eyesight! I have big floaters in the middle of both eyes that drive me crazy! But I do the best I can. My quilts are far from perfect but I enjoy the process, and non-quilters that see my quilts don't notice the imperfections. 
Some of my machines are on "typing/machine stands/tables." They are several inches lower/shorter than regular tables.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:40 AM

As I was reading through all the replies, I realized I actually have a few more issues with piecing than I previously thought. I know that I like to nest all my seams but sometimes it just doesn't work out. I do try and press them correctly always, but it still doesn't work for me. I know I'm terrible with cutting up my scraps so I have three huge boxes to cut up now. I always saved them because my DD's dog chewed holes in the quilts I made her and I needed pieces left over and carried that over to all quilts I made. Now, I refuse to fix the holes so I have no excuse for not cutting scraps with my GO. My eyesight is poor and I've had to learn to sew with mainly using one eye, but still, I'm not using that as an excuse for my problems. I'm so glad I'm not alone with issues in piecing.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:41 AM
DJ

Finishing projects for myself! I just realized that most of my UFOs are for me. I finish quilts I'm going to give to friends and relatives and put my own projects aside!
Old 03-25-2017, 07:51 AM

Basting -- I don't have a good place to lay out a large quilt. I struggle with spray basting, pin basting and thread basting. I've tried many methods. I think part of the reason is lack of patience.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:05 AM

I lack the experience of many of the quilters on the QB, but my main problem is deciding how to quilt a sandwich. My repertoire of skills is still a little scant and I find that I tend to fall back on a few things that I am sure I do pretty well. I can never decide whether I have quilted enough or too much and I never know what motif is best.