Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's best quilting magazine for me?

What's best quilting magazine for me?

I'm being innundated with offers to subscribe to quilting magazines. Didn't know there were so many. What's a good magazine for an advanced beginner/low intermediate quilter? Don't want any applique or "artsy" quilts. I like to make throws out of precuts and scraps, but I want a little challenge and clear instructions on new techniques. Any suggestions?

Do you have a store nearby that has a good selection of quilt magazines? If so, I'd go look through some of them. We all seem to have our favorites and what works for some might not work for others.

I think Quick Quilts is a good magazine. Joann Fabrics carries it.
    Kathy

I subscribe to a couple of quilt magazines. I really think what one would think best, another may not like. It is a good idea to look at the magazines at a store to decide which you like best. Also I read 2 different quilt magazines that I check out from the local library. There is also an online magazine that is free.

I would say Quick Quilts or Quilt - they seem to be pretty basic magazines without all the artsy stuff.

"Quilt" and all of "Fons and Porter" magazines are my favs.

American Patchwork and Quilting may be right up your alley. I personally want a hint of a challenge, and your level of quilting indicates that you may like the same. Every year (6 issues) they do try to feature scrappy quilts several times.
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

Power Poster
    Depending on where you live may be a factor. I live in Canada and we pay more for subscriptions. Even with the discount offers, I can buy them less expensive at my Walmart with their regular discount on magazines. This also allows me to flip through an issue before buying it. I don't buy a magazine now unless it has a least 1 thing I might like to try. I figure if I try 1 thing, then that is like purchasing a fairly reasonable pattern.

My favorites are Quilt and Quiltmaker, but everyone is different in what they like.

Blog Entries
    I let all of my subscriptions lapse because it was getting out of hand and there were too many duplicates. I do still pick up the occasional American Patchwork and Quilting magazine. It seems to have a broad range of topics and patterns.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast