Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's wrong with me? >

What's wrong with me?

What's wrong with me?

Old 06-16-2013, 03:38 PM

What got me over that hump was to buy a bunch of cheap baby quilt panels, and just quilt them...I donated them after, but it really helped me get comfortable with switching gears..no 2 are the same, and as I advanced, I got more comfortable with different background fills and designs. I like the quilting process so much more now...
nothing wrong with you at all...we all need to just jump in..no quilt police at your house!
Old 06-16-2013, 07:04 PM

I'm mostly good at the quilting part, but deciting quilt patterns is my downfall. I have a tendency to pick such simple patterns just because. No creativity but they work up quick. Most of the time, I have my kids pick for me too. They have an eye for color and most of the time, pick great fabrics for me.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:11 PM

All I can say is my next sewing machine better come with an 'undo' button!
Old 06-17-2013, 09:14 AM

Love the idea of the "undo button". You figure out how to make that work and you'll be a millionaire in no time. Lol!

Finally decided that if this was going to actually get finished and not end up in the UFO pile (think its down to about 15 or so now) I would just tie the center pieced area and SID around the borders. So several yards of tiny purple satin ribbon and a couple sore fingers later, it's done. Look in picture section for "Misty's peacock colors quilt". And I did finish the hand stitching of the opening from turning it.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:45 PM

I spent 7 years piecing all kinds of projects and actually finishing a handful. Last fall I finally taught myself how to be a finisher and I'm making headway quilting all those tops and have learned to enjoy walking foot quilting and binding almost as much as piecing. Now it's just the sandwiching that puts my quilty mo-jo on idle...

So, it CAN be done! I hope to only have a handful of UFOs by year end.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:07 PM

I am so like Mom 6. Maybe thats why I have 8 pieced tops ready to quilt. I love to piece but know I am not good at quilting so I stop. I do quilt my baby quilts, toppers and runners.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:42 PM

I think I want a standard of excellence that I've earned in regular sewing from years of doing it, that is just not happening with the quilting, which I've only been doing a relatively short time, and involves a lot more bulk than most of my regular sewing, except for some of the capes and such. At least I'm not dealing with zippers (my other nemesis)!
Old 06-18-2013, 06:34 AM

Mom6: Just took a look at your quilt. Really great, love the colors and design! Glad you made your deadline and got past your quilters block (bad pun).
Old 06-18-2013, 06:47 AM

The part I get stuck on is the pin basting. I started to pin baste several at a time and get it out of the way which has helped. If FMQ is a issue for you just take a deep breath and go for it. I do suggest setting a timer for 45-60 minutes and take a break, walk around, relax your shoulders and then go back to if after a 15-30minute break.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:08 AM

Kateyb: If you really dislike pin basting, I would recommend glue basting. Goes really quick, stays put and if you use the Elmers washable, disappears completely in the first wash. There are several really good tuts on here.