Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's wrong with me? >

What's wrong with me?

What's wrong with me?

Old 06-13-2013, 09:03 AM

You might still like it if you practice on something smaller that you can give away. How about matching pillows quilted and sewn with a coordinating fabric. How about some new hot pads - quilt and then cut into about 9" squares and bind with a loop to finish for hanging.

I started with a printed baby quilt and followed some of the lines. I tried SID, and then I practiced on large scraps (small areas are harder to hold onto). I found I do better free motion than following lines. I do use gloves from the the garden area or Cat work gloves with wonderful gripping.

I am not flooded with money so I was motivated to quilt it myself. Oh, I found I like the 505 spray to make my sandwich so I don't have to worry about pins when I FMQ.

Good luck on what you decide!
Old 06-13-2013, 09:56 AM

There are some parts that you like better than others! I enjoy all stages, but can't wait to get to the quilting part..that is my favorite--I hand quilt everything..Perhaps you could look into having someone else do the quilting for you?
Old 06-13-2013, 10:34 AM

Thanks for all the kind words!

I do think my reluctance to proceed has to do with my most recent foray into machine quilting (one for my DD that is still a WIP) that did not look like I wanted it to and this one is a gift for a special person (the one injured in the explosion in West) and I really want it to look great. She is supposed to be moving into a new place this weekend and I do want it done for a housewarming gift. So guess I need to get busy and just sit down at my machine and start stitching!
Old 06-13-2013, 12:40 PM

We should swap. I like quilting but have lots of UFOs because I hate to sandwich quilts. In part that's because I don't have room to do it properly.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:52 PM

I think, with me, it's because I'm usually following a pattern for all the steps you've mentioned, but the quilting decisions are left up to me and I worry I'll ruin something I've spent so much time on!

I should add ... I find the quilting gets tedious quickly and wears me out physically.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:04 PM

There is nothing wrong with you. I hate cutting, unless I'm finished with that. Picking out fabric stresses me out. Sewing points does too, but those stars are my favorites. Pressing sometimes is something that I hate too. I just keep my eye on the prize. If I ever win a lottery, I'll hire people to make all the kits in my closet.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:36 PM

I'm just like that too... I think I am afraid to ruin my hard work and expensive fabric. But it is okay to enjoy it all except the actual quilting. Maybe you can find a friend who loves the quilting and not the piecing and you can swap tasks.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:55 PM

Hi, Mom6. Don't know whether this will help but just recently I discovered a way to get myself going, don't design the whole quilting plan all at once. If you have a part of the pattern you want to stand out then minimize quilting in that area using echoing or a simple shape. This will help get you started. I found the next design idea came to me as I worked. I had fourteen UFOs at the beginning of the year, am now working on finishing the fifth one. Hope this helps, good luck on your deadline. I am sure she will love it no matter how you finish it. Let us know how it goes.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:52 PM

I enjoy the piecing and getting it all ready, but unless it is a smaller size, quilting is not my thing. Eleanor Burns says she buys her quilting.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:43 AM
Power Poster

I figure if it doesn't look like I want I will fix it later. I won't give it to someone until I'm happy with it. I've been practicing with scraps of fabric(layer cake size) fmq and SITD. If it's hard for you to get started then just work on a small piece.