Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When it just isn't working.... >

When it just isn't working....

When it just isn't working....

Old 05-25-2015, 09:47 AM

Thanks sew much everyone!! I was pretty disappointed last night after working on the quilt. I chose my favorite fabrics from the layer cake this morning and am off to the quilt shop. Mom and I have identical tastes in colors etc. I think I focused too much on color and didn't look closely enough at the pattern in the fabrics. I will let you know how my shopping trip turns out. Thank you for your wisdom and support!
Old 05-25-2015, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

Learn and live.

I would be willing to bet serious money that many of us have purchased fabric that we thought would work - and after getting it home - don't care for it at all in that project.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:27 PM

What I tend to forget is that the precuts contain all the colorways in a fabric group. Generally if you're putting together fabrics for a quilt you don't choose the same pattern in a different colorway. I do love precuts for scrappy quilts.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:04 PM

If you don't love the precut then use something else for your special quilt and the use the layer cake to make it into a charity quilt and donate it. MSQC has lots of patterns for layer cakes that would make someone very happy.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:35 PM

Or if you really don't like the precuts at all, sell it to someone else. You have said you thought it was pretty pricey, so if you decide you really won't use it, pass it on to someone else for close to what you paid and buy something you like better. I hate to feel like I have wasted money, too.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:14 AM

This has happened to all of us at one time or another . Step back take a deep breath and close your eyes. What was it about the layer cake that you liked? The colors, print, how it went together, it reminded you of your mom, it reminded you of something from your past? All good questions and something you should think about, you'll have your answer. If none of it applies because you just liked it, then you will have to use it in something else at a later date. Back to the layer cake and your embroidered designs, if you place your designs down the middle of your quilt (like a panel). You could do a boarder or two in a solids. Or do a narrow boarder in a solid, perches a little yardage from your favorite print from the layer cake (just one print). Then make a little wider boarder using this print, then one more boarder in a solid. Now you should be able to use your layer cake all around this new panel you have made. I hope you find something you will be happy with, I'm sure you're being too hard on your self. Your mother will love your gift, because you made it and gave it to her.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:47 AM

if you are already feeling this way, this project will become a job rather than a joy. I agree with the others, save this for another project and find fabric that makes you smile.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:50 AM

Am making my mom an 80th birthday quilt. Looked long and hard at precuts, especially layer cakes, because I used 8.5 inch squares for the top but decided against them because I felt they were too repetitious color-wise. Having completed the top, with 80 pieces & almost everyone of them from different fabric I think I made the right choice. Of course, I have about a zillion yards of leftover yardage from over-purchasing yardage but that's ok too.

I hope the trip today yields good results.

Edit: wanted to add that I thought your first line was going to say something about how wine and/or chocolate makes the quilt process better on a bad day.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:10 PM

Struck out at the quilt shop, not the type of fabrics, bright colors, bold prints etc. Looking for shabby chic fabrics that don't scream at me..lol
Interestingly enough when I separated the fabrics out and stacked the ones I do like together,my first thought was, 'Now that's what I was looking for'!! LOL most of them were cut from my own stash just in case I didn't like what I had purchased.. good thought on my part!
I am on the road and heading home so anxious to get back to my own stash and build from that. I like the idea of using a solid around the center design panel, thank you for that advice!! I think that might give me enough distance away from the designs to include some petite floral shabby chic prints after that nice solid 'separation' piece.
I feel so much better just letting go of most of that layer cake and moving on!
Thank you all so much for your thoughtful replies you have helped me greatly!!
You lovely ladies absolutely are THE BEST!!
Old 06-02-2015, 05:09 AM

What about making a two sided quilt using the layer cake on the back?