Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where do you get your quilt patterns? >

Where do you get your quilt patterns?

Where do you get your quilt patterns?

Old 01-28-2014, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

I don't see a lot of variety in the patterns in magazines, just simple ones that are showing off the latest fabric collections by the magazine's advertisers. Of course there are exceptions.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:51 AM

I have lots of books and magazines but I don't always care for the patterns in them. Maybe it's the colors they use...I really don't know. I do a lot of internet surfing to find my patterns. Also, the QB has been a help, too. I look at all those beautiful quilts that are made by the QBer's and go from there. Good luck on finding some patterns that just grab your interest.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:27 AM

Like others I surf the web on blogs,also sometimes I just punch in words on google such as the color/type of quilt and look to see what pops up(both on the info pages and images section) I have tons stored in folders in my 'puter of downloaded free patterns this way. Moda bakeshop/recipe is a terrific way also to download free patterns. Often times when I visit the blogs of quilters I click on their fav bloggers listed on their site and spend way to many hours looking at them,and overloading my files with patterns/tutorial.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:30 AM

Most patterns you see these days are the same. Its the fabric selection and the block orientation that makes it look different. Make a simple 9 patch block and turn it on point, same block but because of the orientation it looks different.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:42 AM
Power Poster

IMHO the truly unique patterns I find from someone else making them and posting them on the net. I discovered Judy Niemeyer and Nora McMeeking of Bella Bella here on the QB. Judy only sells her patterns with foundations so they are stand alone patterns not found in books. Nora does have a couple of books. Another unique pattern designer I found on the QB is Carol Bryer Fallert of Bryerpatch studios. I too have a lot of quilt books but I find inspiration in them and many many quilts on my bucket list are contained in the pages of those books.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:58 AM

My DDIL works for Leisure Arts and she gives me books & leaflets for presents. Needless to say, I have plenty of resources for quilt patterns. I really think it depends a great deal on one's exposure and quilting experience and color preferences how one arrives at their decisions. More often, I will see a quilt in a picture and like it and know I can make my version or just a portion of a quilt and go from there. Seldom use another person's pattern unless it is a project with a class. I like learning new techniques and the challenge of making something "Too hard". Seeing tv and nature with the purpose of analyzing colors is a past time of mine. Love seeing young people's work and what they like. It is a fresh, new way with shapes and colors.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:28 PM

Dont know if this will abe of any help. Check out quilterscache.com. They have alot of patterns and in sizes also.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:50 PM

Pintrest, go to Google and type in Unique quilt patterns, you will get a lot of different ones. Search for red quilts, pieced, applique, etc. Ask for free quilt patterns from the different search engines, and when you find some you like keep a file of ideas. Many of the different blogs have lists of other blogs to go to for ideas.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:31 AM

I usually have an idea if I want to do a batik or miniature or whatever technique I want to try next. I simply google, "batik quilt" or whatever and see what pops up in the images. If I find something I like, I can track down a pattern on the web or figure it out.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:00 AM

I have only once used a pattern out of a book, and I modified it even so. And it was a big pain in the rear, after I cut it all out I realized I could have assembled the blocks a little differently and saved myself a LOT of effort and probably used less fabric too. Definitely was a learning experience!

I mostly design my own patterns; either completely from my imagination or (more often) based either loosely or closely on something I saw in a book or magazine. I have EQ7 and between that and my trusty pad of graph paper I like to start off by reproducing the quilt as I saw it, and then I start moving things around, chopping things up, adding other stuff in... I have a lot of fun with the design phase, actually - it might be my favorite part of quilting!