Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where do you get your quilt patterns? >

Where do you get your quilt patterns?

Where do you get your quilt patterns?

Old 01-30-2014, 07:54 AM

Some times it is the fabric choices that make a quilt pop or special or even different. The pattern may not seem like much until the right fabrics are used. My quilt shop has a block of the month class and each person chooses her fabric. After it is done the have a quilt walk with all the quilts. Some look so plain and other just pop.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:21 AM

I have a lot of patterns left to me from my DM and DGM. I get a lot from books, magazines, internet and I buy a lot of them. I like quilters cache and free ones listed on fabric designers web pages. When all else fails I come up with something on my own.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:26 AM

Like several others - i make my patterns from things that i have seen. I never have to worry about "scant 1/4" instructions or things like that as i have adjusted the pattern for my seam allowance. For so many years i never even knew you could buy patterns....dumb i guess....but it never occurred to me.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:45 PM

I had a bit of OCD before my accident in '08, and I'm sure that plays a part in all this:
I had a traumatic brain injury and took it upon myself to work my brain, test it, and what better way than with quilting related things?
The computer is in a place that I can see the tv, and be part of the family, so I sat here for hours on the internet, looking at photos and free directions for quilts. I was lucky, I retained my ability to look at a pic of a quilt and figure out how it's made 90% of the time
I ended up doing that for 5 years, and now have 20.8 GB of photos and 20.1 GB of directions. They are all organized, and I mean really organized, so that is where I get my patterns.
I guess it can be considered a 'stash of patterns!'
Old 01-30-2014, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
IMHO the truly unique patterns I find from someone else making them and posting them on the net. I discovered Judy Niemeyer and Nora McMeeking of Bella Bella here on the QB. Judy only sells her patterns with foundations so they are stand alone patterns not found in books. Nora does have a couple of books. Another unique pattern designer I found on the QB is Carol Bryer Fallert of Bryerpatch studios. I too have a lot of quilt books but I find inspiration in them and many many quilts on my bucket list are contained in the pages of those books.

What does it mean " patterns with foundations so they are stand alone patterns"?
Old 01-30-2014, 03:33 PM

i guess i mostly design my own quilts. i look around and see elements i like - a border here, there a block, a technique i'd like to learn. sometimes i'll really like the look of a quilt and head off in that direction, but rarely do i follow cut lists or anything.

then i sketch it out and consider who it is for while i think about what kind of fabrics they would like or that i want to work with.

i am currently working on a frank lloyd wright pattern from a book and i am mostly hating it. but! it's in preparation for a quilt i really want to make for a friend in the prairie style, so utility in all things
Old 01-30-2014, 03:34 PM

I'm buying fewer and fewer books and surfing the net more. But every once in a while there is that special book!
Old 01-30-2014, 04:49 PM

Perform a search," free quilt patterns' and you will find more than you want. There are many, many companies that offer free patterns, as well as block patterns.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:07 PM

good question; there have been some GREAT replies! thanks much all of you!
Old 01-30-2014, 08:03 PM

I get patterns everywhere; from books, magazines, catalogs, friends, online, things I see that are not even related to quilting. I just keep my eyes and my mind open and, thankfully, good things come! :-)