Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where Do You Hide Your Fabric >

Where Do You Hide Your Fabric

Where Do You Hide Your Fabric

Old 08-05-2011, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
Wow, Kberry, you have a floor in your sewing room-that's not covered with all sorts of things.

Love how you designed it. Looks great and very user friendly
The table I have in there I bought at an auction for 50.00.
It's a drop leaf and has 4 extra leafs to it. I use it for cutting, pinning, putting things together, and what ever I need it for.

The empty side of the room will be where I will put my quilter frame and machine when I get one.

That big white machine is my embroidery machine.

That room used to be only half the size it is now. We added a 20 addition to our house and decided to do upstairs too.
I claimed the room as mine!

:mrgreen:
Old 08-05-2011, 09:10 PM

Empty the room and measure your wall space. Go to yard sales and thrift shops for book cases and dressers. put some material in place and continue. Remember you can take the front of the dresser draws off and end up with shelves (5 draws or 5 shelves). You can cover your shelves with clear plastic just use velcro dots. Everything stays clean and you can see all. Pine boards aren't expensive you can build a chest to put material in(I did) then maybe make a padded top and put it by a window so you can sit and hand sew. Sometimes a mommy will have a set of nook boxes a child has out grown they are quite colorful but if you don't like the colors take them out side and spray paint them with a color or colors you like. You will have a mess when you first start but it will not take long before you have it right
Old 08-05-2011, 10:01 PM

Great idea on under the bed. I have two of those shoe boxes I can use. ANd color code them. Yeah......
Old 08-05-2011, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Big Dog
Hint: Stop buying. Work on getting your room organized. No stores are going to run out of fabric any time soon.
Originally Posted by Dianne1
Yes, they won,t run out of fabric--but what about sales--CLEARENCE sales?
A long time ago I was shopping with a guy (I suppose you could say we were on a date at the mall) and he mentioned that his dad said, "There will always be another sale." That has kind of stuck with me. As long as the stores exist there will be another sale.

I'm with Big Dog here. I love sales, including clearance, but there will be more sales. Just check ebay or Craig's List. For some the fun is in the hunt, but you just tend to collect and collect and not use. Then it becomes a hassle and you are in danger of becoming a hoarder.

How do I know this? From experience...:)
However, I recently cleaned out a storage area where I had a bunch of clothing for the guys in my life. Problem was that there was so much there I couldn't find anything and two of my young men have left home now anyway. So, I cleaned it all out, down to 2 boxes--one for shirts and one for pants and suddenly I had a whole bunch of empty storage space! I moved my cut up squares (several totes of 4", 5" and 6" squares) into this area and I'm delighted!!!!
Old 08-06-2011, 02:30 AM

Living in a tiny motorhome with no storage to speak of, I have a large plastic bin in our bike barn outside and many, many plastic bags inside. Some I keep handy under my chair and others are in the bedroom. Plus I have a craft shed where I put yet more.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:17 PM

I have found out when you want to clean up one room you end up messing up another so that you can go through the things that you want to orgainize Just smile and keep on going. I keep my fabric in filling cabinets and I roll it on the plastic board that I get from Polar Notions from Paducah Ky. they may be a little expensive but they fit nice in filing cabinet and I try and put my colors together and when you open drawer it is neat. Also if yu have shelves you can stand them up on shelve and see what you have. It just works better for me. started using these about 2 1/2 years ago and I have probably have about 125 or more. You can put more then one piece of fabric on each one. Enjoy. Also when you are going thru your things we sure do get surprised LOL
Old 08-06-2011, 12:21 PM

i use the clear bins.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:32 PM

I don't hide mine. I store it on a bookshelf I got at IKEA. It sits perpendicular to the window, so the fabrics won't fade. I have a couple of plastic bins under my quilt frame that hold fabric scraps, batting scraps, and fusible web. I do have a couple of plastic bins that slide under the couch, they hold my backings.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:13 PM

I found a great free way to organize my sewing room. My DD has a good friend who has severe OCD, and came with DD to visit. I showed her my sewing room, and next thing I knew, she offered to organize it for me. Of course, I said sure. My sewing room is very easy to keep organized now because I am organizationally challenged, and she was able to do such a great job, it makes it easy to keep it that way. * One woman's disability, is another woman's gift from above! :lol:
Old 08-10-2011, 05:18 PM
gus

Originally Posted by madamekelly
I found a great free way to organize my sewing room. My DD has a good friend who has severe OCD, and came with DD to visit. I showed her my sewing room, and next thing I knew, she offered to organize it for me. Of course, I said sure. My sewing room is very easy to keep organized now because I am organizationally challenged, and she was able to do such a great job, it makes it easy to keep it that way. * One woman's disability, is another woman's gift from above! :lol:
You should let us see it.....